Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Stride Rite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stride Rite

What's the opinion from the masses? I took Nikolai today toget sandals and I'm really glad I did- apparently his foot is wide so they were able to fit him to a pair of really cute sandals (Kris- the name is Aidan!)

But, Jeez- 38 bucks plus tax. I haven't paid that much for a pair of my own shies in years, and then they were Birkenstocks, I can have them resoled for the life of the shoe and I'm not still growing!!!

I'm glad we went for the first 'real' pair of shoes, (He's been wearing Robeez that I bought for halfprice on eBay) but is it worth saving our allowance for pretty expensive shoes that he'll grow out of?

But then again, we're talking his feet here, and having had my share of blisters and cuts from wearing ill-fitting shoes- I just don't know. (That would be before I became a Birkenstocks only except for special occasions kind of girl)

Jenn

I too have had my share of blisters and sore feet from cheap shoes. Just not worth it, IMO. I have tried twice -- once w/ Target and once w/ Mervyn's shoes and she had blisters or they kept falling off. Maybe I picked the wrong style or something. Anyway, I am big on putting my name on mailing lists and getting sales fliers!
    My dad's motto: Never pay retail. I try to live up to it as best I can (and buy nice stuff).

Comment

We also went to Stride Rite for the first real pair, but after I asked my ped about it, I don't think I'll spend the money if I don't have to. He basically said that any shoe is fine if it has a flexible sole that moves with your child and it fits well....grandparents are really the main people who think you have to spend a lot on shoes for kids.

P.S. I have found some great sales on high quality shoes, though, and in this case, I jump at it! Otherwise, her little feet are just growing too fast to spend the $$.

Comment

I have bought some stride rite and some cheap shoes. We stayed with the cheap shoes when their feet were growing very fast, but leaned towards stride rite when they had the shoes for 6 mos. or longer. (Also when they got more physically active. Around 4-5?) Stride-Rite definitely holds up better to wear and tear and last longer. We never had issues with blisters or fit with Payless sneaks or Mary Janes. Sandals seem to be tricky, though. My kids have very wide feet. Our trick has been to go up a size in the cheap shoes, buy adjustable or get the "comfort fit" stuff at Payless. We get shoes at Marshalls now for DD --she's apparently already got a thing for shoes at 6 years old. Marshalls has good stuff at cheaper prices, but you have to hunt for it. (They have great snow boots, too.)
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We tend to do Stride Rite for the first year of walking or so, then we loosen up a bit. There are some good shoes (that I believe are made by the same manufacturer) at Payless and Target called Smart Fit that are a little more reasonably priced. That said, we do tend to splurge on their primary shoes and sandals at Strite Rite.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

We do Striderite too. The patten leather "Christmas party shoes" were 48 bucks in the store. I found them (the SAME shoes) in an outlet on sale for 18.00$

Try Nordstrom sales, Nordstrom Rack, and outlets. Those are my digs. Second hand stores are a great idea too. I've never gotten lucky but I know people who have! You can check things online or call a Nordstroms to see what their supply is like.
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I haven't ever bought Stride Rite shoes, but I know a lot of people who have. We have had excellent luck with Target/Pay-Less shoes. I couldn't see spending much money on shoes they would outgrow in a season (especially when we didn't have any money to begin with!). For the first time, all three of my boys have "name-brand" tennis shoes that we bought at a Rack-Room store on vacation. We also got all three of them Teva sandals (the price KILLED me) because we have heard that they don't develop the horrible smell that cheapo sandals do.....we'll see. My kids have pretty average feet.....not too narrow, and not too wide. I am sure that helps as far as finding cheap shoes that fit!

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I shop the sales....we usually do target or gymboree. Aidan is currently wearing gymboree shoes that are leather...and cost me under $10
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I just can't pay that much for shoes! Kids feet grow so fast. In fact, I have yet to buy a pair of shoes that has been worn out faster than my kids have grown out of them, and I have purchased shoes at Payless, Wal-Mart, Target, Mervyn's (a western store I miss), and even K-Mart.

My DD loves shoes. She carries them around on her arms, and point to them, and it is one of her only words. We have a basket for shoes at the front door, because we take our shoes off when we get home (just a habit), and she is constantly in that basket, trying on shoes on all four limbs. So, I buy her more shoes than for my DS. DS gets 3 pairs of shoes at a time, tops - sneakers, sandals, and dress shoes. The most I have paid for shoes for my kids is $20, but most of the time it is closer to $10.

The only time I have paid more than $30 for a pair of shoes (for me) was when I bought ballroom dance shoes. Oh, I love to ballroom dance - I miss it so much!
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Both boys got a pair of Nike sneakers for their first birthdays. Just coincidence that the least expensive pair at the store were Nikes. Never really been to Stride Right.

If I got the kids expensive shoes I would be freaking out every time they went outside...I can't see paying $40 for shoes that will be soaked in mudpuddles, buried in mulch or sand, or dripped on with whatever they happen to be eating.

Comment

Working...
                    X