Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Camping with a 17 month old..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with a 17 month old..

Was a miserable failure...... as defined by her and I both sobbing hysterically in our tent at midnight. When she does not get good naps in she really turns into Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I thought at 17 months, a quickie nap in her car seat would suffice but really it made one whole 24 hour period just miserable. That plus the new and scary novelty of sleeping in a tent, and waking up to find new playmates in bed with her ( mommy and an enormous banana slug) to enjoy the middle of the night with.

We ( no DH) were with my sister and her new husband in Mendocino, which is just gorgeous with tons to do and I was a bad mommy and tried to do it all. I think i scared my sister off from children for years.

I want to try it again, but this time with naps and DH that I can hand her off to, but I am getting chills just thinking about another attempt.
    Mom to three wild women.

Hugs.

Maybe next time go in a camper?

Just being outside for fireworks was hellish enough, I can't imagine trying to sleep there with my toddler.

Comment

Yeah, what she said.

You are a far braver woman than I!

I bet she will love it in a year.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I was gonna try it this summer with the 3 year old, but car camping - not hiking to a spot. I don't think I have the guts to try it with a child younger than that.
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

We just came back from a camping trip. We left DD with Grandma, the five or so couples we were with had at least one child. One of the moms kind of summed it all up when she said "Camping is really fun and relaxing. Camping with young kids is too much hard work to count as a vacation."

I love camping, but at this point, going with DD is not be something I would do...unless we had a camper.
          :camp:

Comment

Wow...you are BRAVE! Congrats on surviving I think I'd be sobbing in a tent without a toddler..I'm just not a tent camper...I"m imagining how it would be with Aidan along...holy cow...you deserve a prize!
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think there is some sort of scouting badge you should earn for that.

We haven't camped with the kids at that age and this is a good reminder as to why! I think some kids (a few?) would do well with it but not mine. Sad, though, because I love and miss backpacking.

Comment

Wow! I don't think we could have done it, either! Congrats on surviving the adventure, though! DD loves the outdoors, but she is definitely a creature of habit. Not to mention that even though she loves the outdoors, she doesn't even like to walk on grass with her shoes on!

Comment

Working...
                X