Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

children's menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• children's menus

I am getting really tired of the same old items on every children's menu we encounter. Does anyone have any good ideas for kids ordering off the adult menu -- or any restaurant suggestions that have better offerings? My 9 year old now refuses to eat off the kids menu and is trying out a wider variety of foods. My 6 year old basically doesn't eat anymore when we go out. She doesn't like fries, burgers, chicken fingers.... She'll eat buttered pasta, that's it. I consider going out to eat such a treat -- because I don't have to cook and fetch. Now that she won't eat standard kid fare, it isn't as much fun. (It seems wrong to force her to eat junk food, though! ) Any cooler chain restaurants I've missed?
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

We've found that anything with potatoes is a huge hit- sweet potatoes included. But, I'm dealing with a one-year-old from Russia who love root vegetables more than life itself. (one meal recently was brussel sprouts with a side of beets topped with plain yogurt- you would have thought he hadn't eaten in a year. He was squirming in the high chair and sqealing for more!)

We've ordered chicken fingers (not nuggets) for him, soups are a huge hit and peirogies are God's gift to Nikolai. He hates beef and gets tons of pasta at home so we try to avoid that when we go out. We've also discovered that he likes falafel, hummus and other middle eastern foods. We also found out that he loves liver pate. Sweet potato fries are a hit, but I don't let him have but a few because of the fried factor. (the three of us usually split an other of them)

I have the wierdest kid.

Jenn

Comment

Angie, we have had great luck with Panera because they serve PB & J. My kids all like Subway, too. I don't know if you have Bob Evans there (we didn't have it in TX) but my kids are really liking it.....it is sort of like Cracker Barrel lite, and the kids can pick which sides they want.

Hope that helps.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

The best is a babysitter for the kids and you and DH go to dinner.
        Luanne

Just kidding, sort of. I always found diners had anything you wanted!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Bob Evans or anyplace that serves breakfast all day is a thought. My kids think it is insanely cool to eat pancakes or french toast for dinner and I think it may weigh in a little more on the healthy side than burgers and fries.
          We went to a Mongolian BBQ the other day and thought it seemed like a good way to feed the kids. They can pick specifically what goes into their meal and then watch it get cooked. Plus they are a little more accepting of the veggies if they chose them.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't tried Bob Evans or Panera even though they are nearby. It is amazing how we are such creatures of habit. Mongolian BBQ sounds cool too! (Of course, I like Luanne's idea best; too bad we always spend way to much money when we go out alone to make it a "regular" event.)
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Originally posted by SueC
              My kids think it is insanely cool to eat pancakes or french toast for dinner and I think it may weigh in a little more on the healthy side than burgers and fries.
              Same here! I usually order a side of eggs to add a little protein to the carb extravaganza.

Jenn -- the beet and yogurt parfait with a side of brussel sprouts cracked me up. The kid is true to his roots!

Comment

Mmmmm. Mexican. I'm getting hungry!!
                Angie

Comment

Have you tried Yours Truly? That would be a good choice for kids.

Jennifer
                  Needs

Comment

Do you have a Ruby Tuesday in your neck of the woods? I personally don't care for their food, but they have a pretty decent kids menu that includes all of the nutritional info for each of the kids entrees. It's been forever since I have eaten there, but I remember that they had a whole wheat quesadilla on the kids menu....they use whole wheat bread products in many of their kids meals.

Comment

I'm with Luanne!

Back to the topic at hand though...when we go out, we only go to TGIF and only on Monday nights (kid's eat free). They have mac and cheese, pizza, hamburger/cheeseburger/, ribs and grilled cheese.....and the get either mandarine oranges, carrot sticks or french fries as side dishes. We order one of each side dish as a part of the meal and then share them amongs the kids. It works surprisingly well.

Oh...Angie, awhile back you offered up the 'grazing' suggestion for Aidan. This has absolutely taken off.....and..he's finally in the 10th percentile for height. Thanks for the great suggestion!

kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Well, if there is anything I know well, it's eating!!
                        Angie

Comment

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
                            Mongolian BBQ sounds cool too!
                            There's one at Coventry if you haven't found it yet.

My kids LOVE Chinese food. They are insanely picky about anything else you try to feed them. They won't eat things with sauce (red or any other kind) or a hot dog if it's cut wrong, but give them a plate of pot stickers and orange beef and get out of the way! It's crazy.

Comment

Working...
                            X