Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Enjoy them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoy them

Enjoy your babies, even the horrible, tantrum days. This morning I stood in the driveway as Caroline pulled away (age 20) leaving for Colorado and her third year of college. I have cried all day. In another thread someone mentioned Method cleaning products, so I went and bought ALL OF THEM. It has helped to keep me busy. It will take her three days to get to Boulder, and she is alone
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

I'm sorry Luanne - that must be hard. Some days I step back & look at my little guys and I simply can't fathom the idea that one day they'll be taller than I am and - gasp - want to leave me.

I wish you were closer to me. I have plenty for you & your Method line to do!

Take care. Thank God for cell phones.

Comment

Amen to the cell phones. She has checked in every three hours. She is now somewhere in Illinois and looking for a hotel. I won't rest well until she is there. On the other hand she is such a neat young lady, full of life and knows what she wants. Of course three years ago I wondered if she would make it out of high school!!!!!! Thanks for the sympathy & support.
      Luanne
      Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Luanne,

My little boy just turned 2, and as I am sitting here typing my eyes are filling up with tears. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when he goes off to college or decides to serve a 2 year service mission for our church at 19. I was away from both kids for a week last month, and it was hard.

I hope your dd makes it safely to Colorado.

Crystal
        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Thanks Crystal. It is nice to know I am not alone tonight!!!! I just got off of the phone with her. She made it to Joliett, Il and is stopping for the night. She called me when she was in her hotel room and the doors double locked!!!!! I'll go to sleep now. Thanks everyone, it will be a long three days.
          Luanne
          Luanne

Comment

I just can't imagine, Luanne...

Today Andrew announced that he would be turning into a pre-teen in 4 months. I can't believe how fast it goes by.

I hope her trip continues to be uneventful...

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm putting my fingers in my ears.....lalalalala.....

I know that day will be here sooner than I can imagine.

I hope the rest of her trip continues to be safe and uneventful. Hugs to you!

Comment

Luanne,

This must be a hard time. But it sounds like she really misses you already! And it's great that she's checking in so much. Here's to an uneventful trip for your daughter.

Comment

Wow, I'm so impressed! How wonderful to know what you want and then go after it. Its easy to say now, but I hope I'm in the same place you are one day, with a daughter off grabbing opportunities and living her life to the fullest.

You must be very proud!

Comment

I needed that reminder today Luanne, my kids have been fighting non-stop!
                    It sounds like you did a terrific job at raising such an independent daughter!
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I can't imagine being in your position - the only thing that comes to mind reading about kids leaving the house is "you mean I'm going to get more than 4 hours of sleep sometime in the future?"
                      I guess perspectives change, and I will certainly be sad when it becomes clear they don't need me anymore (DD certainly makes it clear to me several times a week - when she is socializing with older girls or women, she often tells me "OK daddy, you can leave now" or "go daddy, just go")
                      But from my vantage point right now, an empty nest sounds like paradise.
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Ok, everybody read the the new September issue of Real Simple Magazine. It has a nice article about a man and his wife who are thinking of downsizing their king size bed since their kids are growing up and don't come in to "snuggle" with them in the mornings. It's a nice little article about evolving families.

I can't even handle the thought. My less than 2-year old put on a backpack (full of toys and books) to go to grandma's the other day and I nearly cried because I had visions of him going off to kindergarten and leaving me. Gosh, and then the year after that I lose his sister too!

I'm sorry, they just have to stay little forever...

Comment

Thanks everyone. I really do miss her. She is now in Nebraska and said it is really awful, flat, windmills and cornfields!!!!! She should be in Boulder in about 3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is really a neat young lady, and loves going to school in Boulder. For those of you who have been around fo awhile, remember there were times when I thought she would not make it out of high school. Tonight I told Amy that she cannot move away anytime soon (she is the only one who lives here).
                          Luanne
                          Luanne

Comment

Wow, congrats on having an independent and great daughter!

I vascilate between being ready to ship my kids off to boarding school, to wanting them to grow up and get out, to wanting them to stay small forever, to wanting them to grow and become great adults who never leave!

Yesterday, after my daughter was eating my makeup, I thought about looking for places to ship her. She won't eat pancakes, but she'll eat some pancake foundation!

Clearly, I don't understand her. My son was so much easier!
                            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Luanne,

My heart goes out to you. I hope that you both are always close. I just got back from four day visit with my mom and I am closer to her than ever. I hope that you always have a great relationship with her.

Wah...this makes me miss my mommy.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X