Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Love my new pediatrician!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love my new pediatrician!

So I am picky when it comes to physicians, I guess it's one of those traits you take on when you are married to one.

Anyway, one of my big worries was finding a good OB and a good ped for the kids. I feel like I hit the jackpot with our new pediatrician. Emma developed a sore on her mouth a week ago, and it wasn't going away, and spreading as she picked at it or if she bumped her face, got a bug bite, etc. So I called Mon morning, thinking ok they will see her late afternoon, because the guy recommended to us is in a solo-practice. The front office asked if I could be there at 930 am, it was 915 am when I called. I get there the office is very kid-friendly- decorated in bugs and alligators (gators are the office's mascot), a kiddy door that leads back to the exam rooms, etc.

The office was not busy at all when we arrived. We get to the exam room, they take her vitals and whatnot. Dr. M comes in, and was such a kick in the pants- he is from Louisiana, he's a plump balding guy with a sweet laid back disposition (he was wearing a Vote for Pedro T-shirt ) He looks at Emma's mouth and says "Sweetie you've got impetigo." He checks her out- standard stuff- listens to her lungs, checks reflexes, etc. Dr. M asked if anyone else has been sick, and explains the risk of impetigo. I mention that Brigham has had some loose stools, and is developing a nasty diaper rash. He asked to check Brigham out right there to make sure he wasn't getting the Strep infection too. :thud: Luckily Brigham wasn't, but then he wanted to make sure I wasn't coming down with strep throat, and looked at my throat. He wrote Emma a script for oral antibiotics and for a topical for her nose. Anyway, the receptionist comes in and says "Is it Brigham or Emma that has an appt in the next month?" I told them Brigham has his 2 yr check in a month. She comes back and says "Do you have to be anywhere? We can see him right now if you would like." :thud: If I had been in Seattle, they would have said see you next month.

So I fill some paperwork out for Brigham's chart, and ask "Do I need to pay another $30 co-pay?" The receptionist says "Your husband is a doc right?" I say "Yeah, he's in anesthesia" She replies "I didn't know that when I processed your co-payment earlier, but for future reference we don't charge physician families their co-pays as a courtesy." :thud: Then Dr. M walks back in and spends at least another 20-30 minutes with me and the kids talking about Brigham, and what not. We discussed the weight issues Brigham has had in the past, and Dr. M ordered a Hemoglobin just to make sure all bases had been covered, it turned out fine. In addition to all of this, we got a huge bag of samples, the kids got stuffed alligators.

Not to say I didn't like our last pediatrician, I loved her when I could see just her, it was the other partners I wasn't crazy about.

When I told Matt about the impetigo, he wanted to bang his head against a wall for not catching it. Matt had had a cold sore the previous week and thought that is what it was. But now that she has been on antibiotics for a day, all the sores on her mouth and face are starting to clear up.

Oh Brigham is now 24 lbs (25%), and 32 1/2 in (10-15%). Still my little man, but he is starting to catch up considering he was in the 10% at 18 months for his weight.

I felt like doing a little happy dance as we left the office.

Crystal
    Gas, and 4 kids

Sounds awesome! and you know the kiddie decorations in the office can make such a difference. At Walter Reed, which as I'm sure everyone knows, is a HUGE hospital, the pediatric clinic has a fake bus. It's so cool. It has the driver's seat with the steering wheel and enough seats for 10 kids to sit. Plus it has little tables and chairs for them to sit and draw or whatever.

Looks like you guys found a GREAT ped. I'm sure you're very relieved. and remind Matt that it's been quite a while since his med school ped rotation and to cut himself some slack!!!

Jenn

Comment

Working...
    X