Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Any weaning tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any weaning tips?

Hi all,

I've had to abruptly wean my daughter because of a heart medication I have to start taking, and while she's dealing with it well (she's so excited about this bottle that doesn't require any work on her part...), now that she's completely done with me, I'm miserably engorged. I only had a week to cut out feedings, but I started my medication yesterday and had to totally cut her off. I'm trying to only pump out a few ounces when I'm totally fed up with the pain, but it's still pretty bad.

I've done the Tylenol and the cabbage leaves are in my bra....any other homemade comforts that anyone's found useful? I'll try anything.

I'm also a little sad because I had to stop all of a sudden, but DH says (in his totally doctor-ish way--annoying), my health needs to be a priority too.

My ex-SIL used steaming hot towels wrapped as tight as her husband could make them- like a bandage and that helped.

Jenn

Comment

The cabbage leaves are the only thing I knew - but didn't hear about it until after I'd weaned DS#2. I understand being sad, though. I stopped nursing DH#1 on his 10 month b-day b/c I had my 8 wk confirmation check-up being pregnant w/ds#2 (yikes!). I cried and cried b/c I felt like an "awful" mother and was sure he'd end up an ax-murdered b/c he's been weaned too quickly....

Gee... those hormones will do a number on you, won't they??

All this was my long-winded way of saying "I sympathize."

Take care -

Comment

Ooooh, I so feel for you! I had to go "cold Turkey" with baby #3 when she was just over 6 months old due to the biting. I couldn't take it anymore. What helped me was frozen peas or corn on my chest as much as I could, the tylenol like you said and if you can take the pressure, DON't pump. It will just stimulate to produce more. My sister just weaned her little guy and she wrapped her chest in ace bandages for a few days and said that really helped. I hope THIS helps! Hang in there and don't feel bad. Your hubby is right, take care of you too!

Jessica

Comment

Definitely avoid heat in that area....I've also heard frozen peas help. And pump just enough to take the pressure off, and then gradually stop even that. I've heard mint and sage stop milk production I HATE being engorged, so I really feel for you. Hang in there...it will get better.

Comment

I agree about pumping enough just to relieve some of the pressure. You could also hand express to do this - this method worked best for me. This helped me immensely. I had to wean early with both of my kids. My first because he had a very severe tongue-tie and couldn't nurse and was failing to thrive, and my second because I ended up in the hospital with resistant bacterial mastitis and required IV antibiotics. After two months straight of recurrent infections, we decided it wasn't meant to be, I was too sick to take care of her effectively.

Good luck.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Ah, thanks all--ok, the weird thing is that the cabbage leaves are working WONDERS. I'm not engorged anymore and I haven't had to pump in 24 hours now (previously, I'd only made it about 8 hours or so.)

So, my question is, does anyone know why the cabbage works so well? DH doesn't know---any super informed moms or spouse o' OBs that know the secret to its success?

Comment

Working...
              X