Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Too soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too soon?

As I'm sure many of you know (since you are all my psychiatrist ) I put my dog to sleep 2 mos ago. She was 17. Well ........the kids want a puppy. Desperately. And the trouble is - so do I. Even worse, I've been trolling Petfinder.com for mutts in shelters and there are over 200 in my area. All cute, too. There is one in particular that I have my eye on and I know if I go to see him, he's coming home with me. I have no willpower in the face of needy little animals. Is it too soon for me to be doing this? I honestly can't tell if this is part of my grief process or if I'm genuinely ready. And I hate to think of this little guy going homeless while I ruminate ....

And this is in parenting because ....well.....I'm a dog mommy? My kids are involved in the decision? Who knows!
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Some families are dog families IMO. You gave a wonderful home to an animal for 17 years, and I can't imagine opening up your home to another needy pet would be a bad thing.

That said, I'm in the midst of puppydom, and am happy to provide a reminder of what that can be like . We're lucky, he's a great pup. He's patient with the kids, is doing a *pretty* good job with the house training, has a great temperment, and hasn't (knock on wood) chewed up anything he's not supposed to have (IMO again. I let him chew on DH's shoe once to teach DH to PUT HIS STINKING SHOES AWAY!.)

My mom went to wander the APL once after a mammogram - just to take her mind off things. We'd just put down our dog of over 15 years, less than 3 months after my dad had left. She went in looking for a female german shepard, and came out with a male poodle-mutt-creature who we named Klinger (from MASH) because he looked so weird. He was a great friend, though.

Good luck!

Comment

I don't think it is too soon. My mil recently had her dog die unexpectantly (PE) and she got another dog about a month later. I think her house felt kind of empty without a dog bounding around--she went to the shelter and fell in love with a gigantic mastiff (which is funny since she is about 5') and he is a great companion. She still misses Pepper, but I think the new dog is really helping her to heal.
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Thanks for the support. I called, but after discussing the pup with the foster mom, I backed out. Seems the pup might be part pit bull. So .... no matter how cute the picture, I don't think I'll be arranging a meet. Of course, I'm sure we will be getting a puppy soon. Thanks for the reminder on life with puppy. I remember the first two years with our dog were littered with chewed up shoes and one destroyed couch. It was kind of like a scene from Turner and Hooch. Even with that memory firmly in mind, t is wierd to *not* have a dog. I'm sure the right pup will come along.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

I think that if you and the kids are ready, you should go for it!

I can't (or don't want to) imagine how dirty our floors would be without a dog! I'm so used to having him around. Your post will remind me to give him a few extra pats.

Comment

I know what you mean Nellie, when food drops on the floor I pretty much never have to clean it up. We count on Simon to lick up the kids milk spills and scarf up any mac and cheese that makes it to the floor. Then again, he is overweight...
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

We went to the pound in San Antonio a couple of times and met some great dogs but none that 'felt right' so we waited. Finally, in March of 2002 we went and there was the Petey. We left with him that very day.

It's not too soon. My parents struggled with their cat through a horrible bought of cancer (incidently which then caused my mother to make me her health care decision maker, since my dad couldn't pull the plug on the cat, she's figuring he wouldn't be able to pull hers, either) and about 2 months later they got a new kitten.

It's ok to have a new love while mourning the old. I still miss that Fat Bastard kitty of mine. and he was a jerk!

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
                (incidently which then caused my mother to make me her health care decision maker, since my dad couldn't pull the plug on the cat, she's figuring he wouldn't be able to pull hers, either) Jenn
                Jenn, your family constantly cracks me up!

That said, I know MY dad would have a much easier time pulling the plug on a spouse than an animal. He gave our german shepard mouth to mouth recessitation ..... but that's another story.

Comment

I say go for it!!! I know I would. It is OK to grieve for your loss, but also OK to offer a loving home to a pet and a loving pet to your family.
                  Luanne
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We found a puppy!! Here's our new baby.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...00&tmpl=&stat=

We will call him Cooper. From posts on the board, it looks like we could have our own puppy support group!
                    Angie

Comment

Needed a project while DH was gone??

Congratulations! And best of luck!

Comment

He's a cutie!! Have fun, and congrats!
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Yeah -- I think DH timed this perfectly. He loves dogs and was very hip to get the puppy. Of course, he'll be gone for the first 2 weeks of "adaptation". Smart man. He did build me a custom puppy gate before he left and helped me put away all the rugs. Even with all that - I think I'm going the crate route for the time I'm out of the house. I'm usually around except for an hour or two here and there. I think the puppy would be ok crated during that time stretch. It's supposed to make housetraining easier, too. We'll see. Aren't I optomistic? What have I done?!!
                          Angie

Comment

Angie-

crate training was a godsend for Petey!

Jenn

PS- I think Cooper is more Australian Cattle Dog looking than Australian Sheperd! (and of course I'm partial to my Blue Heeler/ACD mix but he's my baby.) If Cooper is super smart, tends to gravitate to one person and needs to be challenged or he turns into Destructo-Dog, check the ACD websites. As we say around here, "a bored cattle dog is a destructive cattle dog" and I have a shirt that says, "A good ACD is a TIRED ACD."

Comment

What a sweetie!!!
                              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                              X