Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Many Women at Elite Colleges Set Career Path to Motherhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Women at Elite Colleges Set Career Path to Motherhood

Many Women at Elite Colleges Set Career Path to Motherhood

Published: September 20, 2005
    Cynthia Liu is precisely the kind of high achiever Yale wants: smart (1510 SAT), disciplined (4.0 grade point average), competitive (finalist in Texas oratory competition), musical (pianist), athletic (runner) and altruistic (hospital volunteer). And at the start of her sophomore year at Yale, Ms. Liu is full of ambition, planning to go to law school.

So will she join the long tradition of famous Ivy League graduates? Not likely. By the time she is 30, this accomplished 19-year-old expects to be a stay-at-home mom.

"My mother's always told me you can't be the best career woman and the best mother at the same time," Ms. Liu said matter-of-factly. "You always have to choose one over the other."

At Yale and other top colleges, women are being groomed to take their place in an ever more diverse professional elite. It is almost taken for granted that, just as they make up half the students at these institutions, they will move into leadership roles on an equal basis with their male classmates.

There is just one problem with this scenario: many of these women say that is not what they want.

Many women at the nation's most elite colleges say they have already decided that they will put aside their careers in favor of raising children. Though some of these students are not planning to have children and some hope to have a family and work full time, many others, like Ms. Liu, say they will happily play a traditional female role, with motherhood their main commitment.

[Some readers have asked about the reporting that went into this article. The reporter, Louise Story, explains in a separate article published Sept. 23.]

Much attention has been focused on career women who leave the work force to rear children. What seems to be changing is that while many women in college two or three decades ago expected to have full-time careers, their daughters, while still in college, say they have already decided to suspend or end their careers when they have children.

"At the height of the women's movement and shortly thereafter, women were much more firm in their expectation that they could somehow combine full-time work with child rearing," said Cynthia E. Russett, a professor of American history who has taught at Yale since 1967. "The women today are, in effect, turning realistic."

Dr. Russett is among more than a dozen faculty members and administrators at the most exclusive institutions who have been on campus for decades and who said in interviews that they had noticed the changing attitude.

Many students say staying home is not a shocking idea among their friends. Shannon Flynn, an 18-year-old from Guilford, Conn., who is a freshman at Harvard, says many of her girlfriends do not want to work full time.

"Most probably do feel like me, maybe even tending toward wanting to not work at all," said Ms. Flynn, who plans to work part time after having children, though she is torn because she has worked so hard in school.

"Men really aren't put in that position," she said.

Uzezi Abugo, a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania who hopes to become a lawyer, says she, too, wants to be home with her children at least until they are in school.

"I've seen the difference between kids who did have their mother stay at home and kids who didn't, and it's kind of like an obvious difference when you look at it," said Ms. Abugo, whose mother, a nurse, stayed home until Ms. Abugo was in first grade.

While the changing attitudes are difficult to quantify, the shift emerges repeatedly in interviews with Ivy League students, including 138 freshman and senior females at Yale who replied to e-mail questions sent to members of two residential colleges over the last school year.

The interviews found that 85 of the students, or roughly 60 percent, said that when they had children, they planned to cut back on work or stop working entirely. About half of those women said they planned to work part time, and about half wanted to stop work for at least a few years.

Two of the women interviewed said they expected their husbands to stay home with the children while they pursued their careers. Two others said either they or their husbands would stay home, depending on whose career was furthest along.

The women said that pursuing a rigorous college education was worth the time and money because it would help position them to work in meaningful part-time jobs when their children are young or to attain good jobs when their children leave home.

In recent years, elite colleges have emphasized the important roles they expect their alumni - both men and women - to play in society.

read the rest of the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/natio ... ed=1&8hpib
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

It's a great article...thanks for posting...
    I struggle with this issue all the time and I think it's a particular problem in medical families.

Comment

I think that is an interesting predicament. I struggled with it when I went back to get my MBA but I'm glad I did and I'm glad I'll be able to stay home with my kids. I think someday I'll try to start something of my own and I hope my MBA will help me with that.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

A different point of view on this story:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2126760/

Comment

Is it time for our semi-annual "Work or Stay Home" debate already? That always livens up activity on the board.....
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
            Is it time for our semi-annual "Work or Stay Home" debate already? That always livens up activity on the board.....
            Okay, but are we allowed to just quote oursevles from previous debates?

Originally posted by Julie, in 2003 or so,
            Bah humbug!
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Please no! I am already getting sideways looks when I answer the where do you work what does DH do questions from neighbors :!

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                Originally posted by goofy
                Okay, but are we allowed to just quote oursevles from previous debates?

Originally posted by Julie, in 2003 or so,
                Bah humbug!

You mean all the debates haven't changed your opinion from "Bah humbug"?

Comment

Instead of having to write out responses can we just post links of our posts in prior debates?

That would be just sooooo much easier for me right now. Even quoting myself is too much effort! Just the links.....

Jennifer
                  Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                  With fingernails that shine like justice
                  And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

This topic continues to be morbidly fascinating for me.

Interesting that 18 and 19 year olds are thinking seriously about their future in this way. They are WAY more evolved than I was!
                    More evolved that I was too

I didn't mean this to start a debate. I just thought it was an interesting new direction of thought in light of some of the other discussions that we've had....that's why I posted it in parenting instead of the debate forum.
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Debate?

I was not around for them! Drat!

Probably clear where I stand already however.

Comment

Working...
                      X