Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

transistioning to a big girl bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transistioning to a big girl bed

Any advice on how to do this? We were going to put a mattress on the floor for a while. How do I prevent her from leaving her room, or staying up all night playing with toys?
    Mom to three wild women.

We bought bunk beds and put the upper bunk with the rails on the floor for Tim. It gave the impression of being confined, and after about a week of post-bedtime wandering, he stayed in it. Maybe those movable bed rails might work?

Comment

We did it a little after 2 yo and didn't have any problems....I don't know that it signals our success but maybe just good luck. She was tired, was familiar with her bed, and went to sleep in her mostly dark room. One thing that helped was having the removable railing that converted the crib to a toddler bed -- still had three crib sides up.

She only fell out once. Thunk. We put some big soft pillows down on the ground after that. I think the mattress on the floor would be a good idea too.

Comment

We've moved both girls without any trouble. Maya did fall out of the toddler bed a few times, but we put some pillows down to make the landing a bit softer. They always say you should buy some really cool sheets that they'll be excited about sleeping in, but I never actually did that. For the first several weeks it actually never occured to either of the girls that they could get out. I think if you just stick to the same bedtime routine, it shouldn't be too difficult. If he/she does get out I guess you should just walk them back to their bed and put them back in. I wouldn't get into the habit of lying down with them, I can't tell you how many friends I have had that get their kids dependent on that.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

If coming out of her room becomes a problem, get one of those doornobs you can't turn. The childproof ones.

Our three year old went to a twin bed at 22 months and while she played a little more before she slept, I think it taught her to play by herself a bit during the day too.

Give her the rules and I bet she will follow them after the novelty wears off!
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
          X