Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

baby signs and not talking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby signs and not talking

We taught DD several signs a few months ago. Now she is talking up a storm but not saying any of the words she signs. Her DCP seems concerned about it, I dont think it is a big deal but I wonder when she will start saying 'thank you' or 'please' rather than signing it. When I ask her to say it with her mouth, she looks at me and opens her mouth. Any one else had this happen?
    Mom to three wild women.

We did signing with both kids, moreso with the first. She did continue to sign some of her words even though she could probably say them. If she is talking up a storm otherwise, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Our oldest was a later talker. I found that it sometimes helped her learn a new word if I would sing it or say it in a sing-songy voice. Like singing "please, please, please" -- that seemed easier to mimic.

Comment

Sue Ann....I think teaching signing is almost akin to teaching them another...language..don't you? She has learned certain words in english and certain words in ... sign...and she may just be more comfortable signing some of the words that she either 1. learned first or 2. are more difficult to say?

Thomas and I speak german only with Aidan and our kids speak english with him for the most part. Despite the fact that he knows both languages, he prefers certain words in german and certain words in english. I'm not sure why.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't be too concerned about it yet. I agree with Nellie about the sing-song idea...and maybe if you are really concerned you could not sign certain words anymore to make sure she starts saying them. Technically, sign has been her first language....

I'm not sure if this made any sense..

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

DD did that with a just a few words. It definitely didn't last long. I remember it being words that she didn't know how to pronounce. For example, before she knew how to pronounce the 'j' sound, she would sign juice and 'jimmer' (her uncle).

Currently, when it turns into a big deal that I make her say please, thank you, or I'm sorry, she will do the sign rather than say the words, even though she can and does very often. I think its just a way for her to comply, but on her own terms. Its a good compromise, IMO. She will also go back to signing if she's trying to get something across with words and we don't figure it out. Just last night she wanted my MIL to sing to her, and MIL didn't understand the words DD was saying. So DD signed 'sing' which MIL did understand.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially since she's talking so much otherwise.

Comment

Working...
        X