Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Questions about Showing on Second or More Pregnancies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Showing on Second or More Pregnancies

This week, I will be 15 weeks pg and I think the time has come for me unpack my maternity clothing from storage. This may sound strange, but it seems too early for me to do this. I remember with my dd, that I was not in maternity clothes until about 5 months. If I go by my first pg, then I shouldn't be in maternity clothes for another 2 months. But, my body is telling me otherwise. I guess I'm not mentally ready for maternity clothes.

Am I early? Would any of you mind sharing when you needed to wear maternity clothes, especially on second or more pgs? Thanks!
    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

I think it is pretty common to show sooner the second (third, fourth, etc.) time around. I lost all but eight pounds of the weight I gained with my first before I got pregnant the second time, so I was almost back to "normal" size, but from the moment I saw the positive test result, I couldn't stand to have anything restrictive around my waist.....I was really sick with my second one, and tight clothes seemed to increase my feelings of nausea. Also, the pregnancy "bonus" that my bust got made it impossible to wear most of my tops anyway. I pulled out the maternity clothes much sooner the second time around.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I can't remember when, but I know I showed earlier with my second.

I hear that by your third you will be bulging before you even get the test confirmed at the doctors

Comment

Definitely much sooner for my second.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I get my abdominal muscles completely back into shape after every baby and I still show earlier and earlier with each pregnancy! I think it's pretty normal. Don't know why it happens, though....

Jennifer
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

oooh, I do, I do!

Ok, so the deal with you pregnacious chickies is this: the abdominal wall actually separates so that the wee one can poke through. Most of the time, you even if you get back to your pre-pregnancy weight, there is still a part of the wall that remains apart. If you put your fingers in the space about an inch below your belly button, you will more than likely feel a small indentation. Incidently, IF you feel a space of more than 3cms across, DO NOT start doing abdominal work because all you're going to do is continue to allow the muscles to spread. So, you can do butt lifts and kegels and you can wait. (not something that American women are used to doing.)

If you start working out and you feel like your abs will 'never' be back where they were, see if you're actually exacerbating the the problem.

So, since the muscles rarely end up all the way back together, the slightest pressure from the inside causes them to separate that much more quickly.

Jenn

PS- this lesson in female exercise and anatomy was brought to you by my Stroller Strides Training.

Comment

I am ten weeks and my regular clothes still fit without any tightness. I was kind of hoping to be in maternity clothes sooner. I am excited to be back in them- I know I am going to eat those words when I have worn the same pair of pants every day for a month.
              Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Let's see, baby #1 I wasn't in maternity clothes until I was 7 months pregnant!!! It sucked because I was dieing to wear them but I just looked silly in them. For the other two, I wore them probably at around 4 months. I haven't paid that much attention. I tend to wear low rise jeans and then let my belly sort of hang out the top. I wouldn't wear about time frames--when you feel like your tummy doesn't have enough room then it's time to go maternity.
                Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                X