Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm sitting here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sitting here....

at 11:40 pm trying not to look over my shoulder because my 4 yo is standing there waiting for me to make eye contact. She sleeps terrible. I went out tonight and got my first childless break in weeks. She woke up when I got home and came down. I have put her back in bed twice, but she keeps getting up mentioning an owie, snakes, needing her painting from earlier today, not wanting covers on her bed. She is now working on DH who is watching TV. She cries real tears, but I know she is stalling. She wakes up every night and crawls in our bed in the middle of the night because of bad dreams and various reasons. She has never slept in our bed up until the past couple weeks.

Should I be punishing her for not going to bed right now because I know she is stalling or should I be sympathetic to her fears about snakes, bugs and bad dreams. I have read bad dream books to her and talked about how she can turn bad dreams into good dreams. Is this cry for attention something I should be firm with or what. It drives me crazy because I dread every night putting her to bed takes forever. We follow a nightly routine already. I just don't know what to do with her. I can't find my book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". I am feeling at wits end and it has been affecting my productivity for other things since after she finally goes to bed, I don't want to do anything else.

Any suggestions from vetran parents?

P.S. She is so dramatic about everything that something is going to bite her and she will die. She covers her mouth when we go outside because she doesn't want bugs to fly in her mouth. Is this an age appropriate thing?

Jennifer
    Needs

Is this an age appropriate thing?
    I remember that at some point, Bryn started realizing that there are things that can't be fixed -- death among them. Or, you swallow a bug and that's it, can't get it back out. I want to say it was somewhere in the 3s or 4s? As to it being a problem, I guess it depends?

Sleep stuff is so hard. I never would have guessed that would be at the top of our list of parenting struggles. It sounds like she has a very busy mind and that can be hard to quiet when she needs to sleep or go back to sleep. Our neighbors car alarm went off twice this morning at 5am -- Bryn couldn't go back to sleep. So frustrating, but she really can't help it.

I'm sorry. I hope you guys find something that works. I think I've said it before, but we had the best luck with a "carrot and stick" approach.

Comment

This too shall pass. I found that I just had to outlast them. I would ignore them (on a good day) and it eventually went on to another stage!!!!!
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Jennifer,

Just thought of an idea I wanted to share with you.

I recently spent the best $16 I have spent in a LONG time. I bought a sound machine for Anna's room to help her sleep. One of those dealies that makes ocean sounds, rainfall, white noise, etc. It is GREAT. I know this doesn't fit in with the Ferber type rules -- making my child dependent on noise to sleep but I really don't care!

Our house is smallish and all the bedrooms and bathrooms are close together. Anna goes to bed about 1/2 hour before Bryn. We put her down awake and she does well getting herself to sleep -- unless Bryn is noisy brushing her teeth and getting to bed. I had been using the bathroom fan to drown out the noise but that is too loud and probably sucks out some heat in the winter. The sound machine even has a "sleep" function so it turns itself off in 15, 30, or 60 minutes. Helps during naptime too. Anna sleeps fine through me talking, dog barking, etc but if the phone rings or someone is here (unfamiliar voice?) it wakes her up.

Hooray for the sound machine!

Comment

Where did you get it? We could use one since I can't seem to Ferberize my husband. We have a clock radio that makes those noises, but it sounds more like a static-y TV and we need more of a soothing hum (right now he uses a fan, which I hate in winter).
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

A book to Ferber adults -- you're on to something, Julie.

I found it at Bed Bath and Beyond but it is not on their websites. Only in the stores -- in the personal care section. It was 19.99 but I had my fantabulous BBB 20% coupon.

I searched all over for the *$&#( thing. Found one at Radio Shack that also has aromatherapy for $30ish. Wal-Mart has it too but I refuse to go there.

Here it is:
            http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=2686012

Comment

I also bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon.
              Luanne
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Nellie- She took the bait! We have had 4 nights of full sleep and I couldn't be happier and Avery is proud of herself. The bribe this time around are coins. She is into coins right now and feels so special to get dimes and nickels and put them in her pocket, plus she is learning math at the same time. She forgets about the money and leaves it sitting out so I have been able to use the same ones every night.

Jennifer
                Needs

Comment

She forgets about the money and leaves it sitting out so I have been able to use the same ones every night.
                  That cracks me up!

I'm glad you found something that worked. I think those little treats can really help get over a patch of sleeping trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X