Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

true confession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true confession

Yet another complete reversal on my parenting views since actually becoming a parent......

I used to think that using leashes on toddlers was so demoralizing and demeaning to the children. This past weekend, Cade ran away from me in two different stores while we were out running errands. He just turned two and thinks that we are playing "chase". I almost started bawling hysterically on the spot. Fortunately, some nice man helped my find him. I was so relieved and angry at the same time.

My toddler and I are traveling alone through two different airports this Friday. I'm contemplating buying a toddler leash to ensure compliance with mommy's directions. I feel really bad about this.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

It's amazing how are ideas about parenting change once we're actually stuck in the middle of it all! We also reconsidered the whole leash thing and used one for a very short time with Amanda...(the harness, not the wrist thing). We kept the harness more for when we put the little guys in the buggy or car sear. I put the seatbelts through the harness so that they couldn't climb out and get injured. This is "standard of care" in Germany, so I didn't feel bad at all. At the end of the day, 2 and 3 year olds are full of boundless energy and people are going to stand around with their opinions falling down on one side or the other...but if you did nothing and he got lost or injured, they'd be looking at you funny too...Do what is best to keep Cade safe...and to heck with anyone else!

Kris
    Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Comment

Kelly,

Let me tell you, if I had seen a leash-type thing when my oldest was 2, I would have gotten it in a flash, despite the fact that I, like you, initially thought they were horrible things. Don't feel bad if you get one, and steel yourself for dirty looks (or just don't look at anyone!) After all, you aren't doing it for your convenience but for his safety. Airports are stressful enough when you are traveling alone with children without worrying that you're going to lose your kid. Have a good trip!

Sally

Comment

who cares what others think? You will never see them again and your son will be safe. There are CRAZY people out there who snatch children. You are a perfect target, mother alone with child in busy airport. BUY THE LEASH.

Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I felt the same way you did Kelly about the leashes. I swore I would never use one. My parents were going to buy me one when I flew out to visit them without Russ when I was 8 months pregnant and had my 4 year old and 2 year old with me. I refused and regretted it! It was so hard keeping up with two full-of-energy boys who had been sitting on a plane for a long time. They wanted to run and I was tired and CHUBBY. I really could have used one and my whole opinion on the leash issue changed. Do what you think will be best for Cade.

Robin

Comment

I didn't need a leash with my first child - luckily he was (and still is) a relatively easy "momma's boy". My twin daughters are another story entirely! They have been wandering off when we go places for quite some time now. I think the "toddler leash" is an outstanding idea, however, with twins it's about like having two crazy, hyper little dogs on a leash at once - they cross the leashes, they wrap them around your legs, etc. I got tripped so many times that I simply gave up! I use my son as an alarm system of sorts with those two now. With this last one I really think I'll end up using a "leash" - just so I have one less worry when I take the kids out. I used to think (pre-children years) that it was cruel to put a toddler in a harness and attach it with a lead to the parent but now I see it as a safety issue - just like strapping your kid into a carseat.

Jennifer

Comment

I bought these little wrist bands with velcro and elastic "leashes" at Toys R Us. I used them when I took my then-two-year-old twins on a plane ride to my mom's house. I had my hands full of luggage and diaper bags but had my twins attached by elastic. At least I didn't have to have swivel neck to look at them. I could feel the tugging on the leash as they kept up with me and I knew they were still attached by my quasi ambilical cord.

Kelly, I can sympathize with your panic. I was at a mall one day with my girls, almost three at the time. We were in the food court having a burger and fries when they both decided to split... in opposite directions. I was so afraid and angry at the same time that I plopped them into the shopping cart (strollers are for babies they told me) and left. One woman thought I was a monster mommy because I was almost yelling at them to "never, ever, EVER do that again". She was all afraid that the cart was going to tip over and I snapped at her that we "were fine". I just know someone I know saw me. It was one of my least proud moments. Since then, I just stick them in a shopping cart. If one wants to get out and help "push" fine, but not at the same time.

Go for the leash! Your peace of mind is worth quite a bit, and Cade will just think it's a toy and game.

Comment

Kelly -

I would probably think it a bit odd to see a child on a leash but you know what? WHO CARES! I agree with everyone else . . . Cade's safety is the issue here and if that is what will keep him safe, so be it. I was just in the airport last week and there are sooooo many people - it would just be too easy to have him slip away. Also, I don't think that I would think it THAT strange to see a leash in the airport simply because it is SO crowded and insane. If you don't want to do this, I would definitely do some other form of quick ID. . .maybe tie a balloon to his wrist? My parents used to make us hold umbrellas up at the zoo!

Comment

I had him on the leash and I'm talking to a girl at the ticket counter when he starts pretending to be a puppy, complete with a "woof, woof, woof" and licking my leg. As if I wasn't embarrassed enough by that, I then saw him pick up a piece of chocolate that he found on the ground and put it in his mouth. I was mortified. Nonetheless, we are home safe.

I didn't realize that it would be like this. I just envisioned my kids quietly and politely standing beside me in their darling Ralph Lauren layette while bystanders marveled at their good behavior. HA! HA! HA!

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly-

I had to laugh out loud at that one!

If it makes you feel any better, I had a client who liked to strip off all of her clothes and masturbate on the floor of public restrooms. (now THAT'S attention-seeking behavior!)

Jenn

Comment

Kelly: OK, the chocolate on the floor was gross, but pretending to be a puppy is hilarious! Your kid's got a great imagination - maybe he'll be an actor when he grows up? (Or a really big dog )

Jennifer

Comment

Kelly,

That is HILARIOUS. I am still laughing about that one. I think I would have died of laughter if I had seen that live in the airport! Very, very creative young man!

Comment

LOL - too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should be proud.

Luanne
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That's such a hoot, Kelly! You'll have to add that memory to your photo album when you put your pics in....

Kris
                            Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Comment

Working...
                            X