Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bike Trailers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Trailers?

We have great bike trails around here and I plan on using them this summer. I want to get a bike trailer for Henry, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I may have asked before, but hey, short term mom memory. Thanks.

Our Chariot jogging/running stroller also converts to the bike part- we haven't tried it yet as the bike part of if it works as well as the other attachments, it'll be fantastic. Plus it's so nice to only have ONE piece of equipment to lug around.

Jenn

Comment

SueC can speak with great authority on bike trailers - they have several. If she doesn't respond to this post, PM her.

Comment

We had a Cannondale bike trailer that held both kids---up the hill on the KU campus during undergrad for DH and I to switch off kid duty between classes, etc. It worked awesome, and the kids really liked it too. Now I am so out of shape, they should pull me around in it .
        Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
        Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

I have a Burley Solo bike trailer that I got on eBay for cheap. It is really nice, if I would get off my fat butt and use it a time or two.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We love our Chariot jogger and bike trailer. I use it more as the jogger and DH puts it on his bike. Both kids are too heavy for me in our hilly neighborhood -- I'd probably roll backwards up a hill. So, that said, I have never taken off the jogger attachment and put it on the bike but it doesn't look that hard.

We also looked at the Burley and at the time we bought it, the Chariot had some better features. That was a few years ago. If you can get a good deal on a used version of either brand, I would do that.

One complaint. For some reason, the Cougar pulls the left as a jogger. Drives me CRAZY. I have to put the heavier kid on the other side to balance the weight and it helps. My dad, the super-duper bike mechanic, made some adjustments for me that helped. Overall, he came away impressed with the idea of the trailer and some features but unimpressed by some easily added things they could have done to make it work better. He is contemplating making a prototype of his ideal trailer to see if he can sell it!

Comment

We have played with this idea....but I have a nearly $2K mountain bike (from the "before kids" life) that is incompatible for most common trailers. I would love to get something, because I truly LOVE my bike.... do they make one for a MTB that can jump curbs too? Man, I love riding my bike!

if that doesn't sound like an eight year old

Comment

Matt-

check with the chariot, it's made for all kinds of rough and tumble stuff.

J.

Comment

We've got a burley solo and double bike trailer and we've been happy with both. I think either are a cinch to pull (I really only feel it when going uphill). There are a few little pouches in there that the kids can stow a drink or a few toys in, and we feel like the harness and padding looks pretty darn comfy. In fact, we've had instances where the youngest two have fallen asleep during a long ride. They also double as a stroller, which is a little more awkward to push than a traditional jogger stroller, but is still pretty functional and easy to switch over.
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Another option, depending on the age of your kids and their comfort with riding is a Piccolo (the small bike that trails behind yours).

This is the basic idea:

Comment

Thanks all.

We are considering a tandem for Timothy since there are some pretty serious hills that he has to walk up. Well, serious for a 5 yo

Comment

I'm glad you mentioned that Nellie, that's actually something we are keeping on the backburner as well. Maya is 6 and can ride a bike without training wheels, so it's starting to seem silly to coop her up in a trailer when she could actually be pulling some of her own weight. Plus, with the new baby coming, our only other option is to buy yet another double trailer, and I really don't want to do that.
                        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Pulling her own weight -- exactly!
                          Bryn is getting heavy in the trailer to push. Have I mentioned the hills around here? And it won't be long until the same goes for the bike. A trail would be fine but a neighborhood ride will be too difficult.

She can ride w/o training wheels and is comfortable riding for a while. I think a Piccolo would feel like a big step up for her. Now we just have to figure out how to haul all this gear around!

Comment

Working...
                          X