Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pink or blue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shella
    It is amazing how many people feel comfortable getting into your business when you are pregnant. Having a kid is such an open invitation for advise.
    Ain't that the truth!

We decided to find out the sex beforehand. I am a total planner and didn't want a gender neutral nursery. The delivery was still such an exciting time because I finally learned what my baby looked like. I'm not sure what we'll do with the next one.

I remember waking up one morning when I was 7 weeks pregnant and just knew it was a boy. I didn't trust my instincts, though, and needed an ultrasound (or 3 or 4) to confirm my suspicions. On that note....do you have an inkling about the sex?

Comment

Wow! So far we seem *fairly* split on preference. I figured that it'd be more one sided than it is...

I don't have an inkling either way,....and honestly I thought it was cause there was one of each! (until the ultrasound...)

Some one recently argued (discussed, it wasn't mean or anything) that by finding out the gender, you can name and better bond with your baby. That people who find out are more bonded earlier than people who don't find out.

I can't imagine *not* feeling bonded to this baby...I already feel completely smitten!
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Agreed, I feel so in tune with the little potential life growing in me. Its sex just doesn't come into play at all. I could see myself raising either a little boy or a little girl, so it's all good to me.

I've heard that if people are really fixated on one sex, learning early that it's actually the other so they can adjust is a really good thing. On the other hand, if the scan shows their preferred sex, and it's wrong, that's like a double blow!

Hey, Michele...
        Alison

Comment

We didn't find out with our first, because we wanted the surprise and honestly, neither one of us had a preference. With the second and third, though, we found out (mostly because DH could scan me himself.....it was like he had a new toy) and I was glad, because I really, really would have liked to have had a girl. I cried when the ultrasound showed our second was a boy, and then I got over it and was (of course) thrilled beyond words to actually meet him when I delivered. With our third, I was resigned to it being another boy (and I don't remember tearing up when we found out for sure) but there was so much ELSE going on in our lives at that point that I think I was a little shell-shocked. Anyway, I was glad to have any little twinges of disappointment out of the way before meeting my little guys! I remember the first moments of seeing my boys after they were born and feeling nothing but joy.....there is nothing like that feeling! I am so excited for all the expectant moms around here right now!

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Ours was (obviously) a little different but we on purpose didn't specify a sex figuring that somewhere there was a little old lady in Russia who was our own version of Mother Nature.

That said, we knew we'd more than likely receive a referral for a boy because for whatever reason, girls are more 'requested' and supply and demand being what they are...and we were right.

There's a very interesting article in Adoptive Families magazine on what effect the preference for girls worldwide is having on the orphanages.

Jenn

Comment

We found out with each pregnancy. I am too nosy and impatient and just wanted to know. I admire those who can go the duration to be surprised. Mine wasn't necessarily for planning purposes, but out of curiousity. This third time it didn't bother me as much to know or not, however with DD#1 she was adamant about only having a sister and I wanted to be able to give her time to adjust if we were to have a boy. We never cared about the gender (except sad this time when I realized I will never have a son) because we were just happy to have a baby not a boy or girl.

Jennifer
              Needs

Comment

I probably wouldn't of cared if they told me "It's a cat".

Oooohhhhh! I want a cat but Russ is allergic!
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We didn't find out the first time around. The first pregnancy is so exciting that I didn't feel the need to know the gender and wanted to experience that surprise in the delivery room. That was great, and I got my secret wish for a girl (I would have been happy with a boy, but I really wanted a girl truth be told). Every other baby we have found out, mostly for practical reasons. I wanted to be able to sort the baby clothes, and prepare my kids for whomever was coming. The girls both wanted another sister with these last two pregnancies, and I was glad to have several months to prepare them for a brother instead.
                  Regarding which gender we hoped for, the first two times around I really wanted girls, and my dh pretty much concurred. I have all sisters, so that is what I'm used to. After my girls, I really did want a boy, and this last time I really didn't care either way.
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                  X