Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Milkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milkies

So...Aidan is still...milky-obsessed. Despite being weaned since December (Yes, I did nurse him until he was 2 ) he often feels the need to mash them, poke them, twist them, etc and speak fondly of the "milkies". We told him that the milkies were 'broken' and that is why he had to wean when he did...and he has consistently maintained that the milkies are not "kaput" they are "gut".

Last night he was laying in bed with me and we were watching finding nemo. He was feeling my tummy and Zoe started moving all around. "Zoe kicked me"....he said. He was so excited and I was too, to kind of discover that maybe he was understanding that he is having a sister. I used it as my opportunity to talk about the baby and we also discussed that Zoe would get 'milkies'...but that Aidan could give her a bottle with milk in it sometimes (I'll just pump it for him)....and he was completely ok with it...then he said "Aidan have milkies ...milkies not kaput".

Ummm...hmmmmmm....I am concerned that when he sees her nursing that he may want to nurse again too and I'm not really comfortable with that now....it just seems weird to me.

I tried to explain that Zoe would be a "teeeeny baby" and that babies get milkies. "Aidan baby!"

Has anyone had a toddler kind of regress in that way after a baby is born? And...what did you do?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I don't have first hand experience with this one, but my mil does.

She nursed one of my bil's, "M", until he was 3. She weaned him while pregnant with her only daughter (deceased from the car wreck). She has told me that M was very, very angry with my MIL for a few weeks when he saw the new baby nursing. But, he got over it. And, it didn't hurt him psychologically - he's a well adjusted, kind, wonderful man whose wife is about to have their first child.

Aiden won't be screwed up because of this. He'll be OK.
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I think when he actually sees the difference between himself and the new baby, he may decide that he is definitely NOT a baby and will be content to leave the "milkies" for Zoe.

I hope so, anyway!

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I agree with Sally. Maybe you can read his favorite book to him while feeding Zoe. That might seem like a pretty good deal.

And I thought my kids were boobie fiends.

You're not alone -- I weaned both kids around 2 yo, plus or minus a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
          And I thought my kids were boobie fiends.
          oh no - I call Quinn "Eddie" (or Oedi). I was changing in front of him a while ago and when he saw my breasts he said "Look at your BEAUTIFUL nipples!" I was initially a bit freaked out, but frankly it's the nicest thing anyone has said about my boobs in ages!

Comment

Your kids say the funniest things!

Comment

I was worried about that when Syd was born (Maya was only 20 months old, and had been weaned for about 9 months). Before the baby came we had several conversations about the "baby milk" that I would make for Sydney and I would stress that Maya got to drink her "big girl milk" out of a cup. I read somewhere that you ought to let them give it a shot, and that it will hopefully be so awkward they won't want to do it again, but I really had no intention of going down that road in case she really did rediscover her passion for breastfeeding. I'd say draw a line in the sand and stick with it, unless you really don't mind him resuming his "milkie habit".
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

he often feels the need to mash them, poke them, twist them, etc and speak fondly of the "milkies".

Me too, though it normally gets me :nono:

Comment

One of my first memories was watching my baby brother nurse. I guess I'd been weaned for close to two years by then, and I was fascinated. I asked my mom, "What does that taste like?" and she expressed me a little in a plastic tumbler. I think I only had a sip before continuing on to do some typical four year old activity.

I understand that a lot of toddlers think colostrum is icky. Might let him have a taste when you start producing it?
                  Alison

Comment

Quote:
                    he often feels the need to mash them, poke them, twist them, etc and speak fondly of the "milkies".

Me too, though it normally gets me :nono:

Matt, you kill me!
                    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                    X