Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speaking of drop off birthday parties...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of drop off birthday parties...

We belong to the Scholastic Disney Princess book club and I keep asking myself, like the books read, "What would a Princess do?".

DD#1, 4.5 years old, was invited to her first drop-off party of her favorite neighbor friend. I am not worried about her safety, but I have more behavioral concerns. Avery has been very timid lately and wouldn't leave my side at the birthday party she attended last weekend. She may be more apt to join if I am not there. However, this mom is a control-freak and although a friend of mine I haven't let my kids go over to their house without me for over a year (until recently) because I am afraid I am setting them up to fail. She has yelled at my daughter before and made her cry.

This mom has alienated moms in the neighborhood (myself included) with her judgemental attitude towards other's parenting and kid's behavior. Her kids are the kind that rarely misbehave in their mom's presence and will do a 180 turn when given the opportunity to start making decisions for themselves. The term keeping up with the Joneses applies to this woman's parenting. She said to me, "I hope before you have your next child, Avery is a perfect angel. I have no problems with Julia."

Long story, short, I am afraid to leave my daughter alone in their house with the fear of her being uncomfortable since she may not know many of the kids and if she throws a fit or something. Am I being ridiculous and should I enjoy the time with one child to run and errand or two like my neighbor suggested. Or should I try and worm my way into the party "to help out" and being there for my daughter. If it were another neighbor, I would have no problems with Avery attending the party without me.

Sorry so long, Jennifer
    Needs

I think I would go along.

Or just skip it. She sounds like a peach.

Comment

If you have any hint or gut feeling that the mother will be abusive towards your daughter I would definitely say tag along and do not leave the party while your daughter is there.
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I concur, I'd either stay or skip the party all together. Sounds like she already had some preconceived notions about your little girl, so who knows what she will say or do if you aren't there.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Yeah, given the history with this woman, I would stick around and maybe make an excuse why you both can't stay the whole time if it is weird that you are the only parent staying.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Great advice here. Maybe you could come up ith an appt??? and only be able to stay at the party for 45 minutes or so. Then you can leave with your little one.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

This is her favorite neighbor friend, so I'd probably let her go, but I would stay there. Go with your gut, mom! It will all work out. (I'm not sure if "go with your gut" is a Disney princesses theme, but...)
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
              X