Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I LOVE my library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I LOVE my library

I usually take a weekly trip to the library to return stuff and get new stuff. We get a ton of books for both kids, a few CDs and a couple videos, usually.
    I don't even go to my town's library, but the next one over, which has much saner hours and a larger selection.
    Sometimes when it spits the list of my checked out items, I'm kind of embarassed because the thing just keeps printing.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

I wish our library's video selection was a little stronger. Otherwise, I love it, especially that I can request holds on-line and just pick things up. And they have a nice kid section with lots of early reader books.

Comment

Our small town library is a step down from the big city branch we used to have down the street in Boston. I have to get better at the interlibrary loan business. Since it's a Cleveland library, they really do have everything.....just not here. As it is, I do have over 20 items in the house now. It's a killer with overdue fees, though. Those kids books, grrr. (I also have to get better about the online renewals when I don't get to the library in time to return!! ) Here, they charge you the full replacement cost of the book after it's a week late. That's a wake up call. Of course, it goes back to 20 cents or so when you bring it in. I am always shocked when I get an email stating I owe $300.00 in fines.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I am always shocked when I get an email stating I owe $300.00 in fines.
        That would definitely motivate me to track down the books! Wow, they are on to something.

Comment

Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

This city has an awesome interlibrary loan program, includes about 5 counties. I just go online, pick out what I want, get an email when its in, go in, get it, leave. MUCH better than trying to browse with the kids.

No fines in our tiny town either.

We go on Wednesdays before the Border's toddler storytime. I won't bore you all with my rant about how silly it is for the library to call something Toddler storytime and set behavioral expectations that suit a 4 yo better than a 2 yo.

Comment

Ugh, I wish we didn't have fines. I owe $30 to the library I go to. Luckily, the kids have library cards as well, so I've just been checking books out on their cards. I'm kicking myself for not returning that darn Bob the Builder video in a more timely manner! I'll pay it eventually...
              Aside from the fines, I really do love our library. They just built a brand new library that overlooks the plaza (one of our local attractions) which has great parking. The kids section feels very separate from the adult section so I don't have to worry as much about them being a distraction. Prior to this library being built my choices were to go out to the burbs or to go downtown where I actually had to pay to park!!!
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

The DC Public Library System has been chronically underfunded for eons and as a result they pretty much suck. Luckily the DC Council just agreed to a huge influx of cash to the library and they plan on overhauling the main branch. Our local branch is right across the street and I can order stuff online which is nice. (since it's more than likely not available at the local branch anyway)

I do a lot of book buying and selling on half.com. Genius whoever thought that one up! We've sold medical books and tons of other stuff over the years. I just bought the Cider House Rules from half.com for one cent plus shipping. It pays for itself with every book I sell.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                X