Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

babysitting ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• babysitting ??

Dh and I have NEVER left our kids with anyone besides a family friend and a family member. We havent been on a date in 3 yrs....and are dying for a sitter. I have MAJOR trust issues and will have a very hard time leaving somone I dont know with my kids, in MY house.

Anyhow, the lady who got us this house, she is so nice...has a college aged dtr. She called me today out of the blue and offered to come and sit for my kids.

I invited her to come over-to see how she and my kids interact....and all that jazz....so my question. How much do you pay a sitter. If we go out after 7:30 they are in bed, so not much to do for her. If she comes during the day when they are all active, she will have some serious running to do.

When I babysat for 4 kids about 7 yrs ago I got $5/hr. They were ages 8,7,6, and 4. I thought that was fair. Noone had diapers,the older ones could fend for themselves for most things....so it wasnt super hard....just supervision.

So, what do you all think would be fair. I dont want to be cheap, but I dont want to over pay either.

thanks!
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Either ask her (since she is college-aged, she may not be too shy to tell you) or offer what you think is fair (X/hr. when they are sleeping vs. more when they are awake) and ask her what she thinks. Whatever you do, get it out there right away and be open and honest.....that goes a long way, imo. Is there anyone from your husband's program (I know he hasn't started yet) that you could call to find out what the going rate is?

For what it's worth, I pay $6/hr for my three kids. The sitter (who we have to pick up and take home usually has dinner duty and has to put the kids to bed. However, they are all potty-trained and go to bed without too much drama......BUT they are boys who think it is fun to wrestle with babysitters......she earns her money! If she is ever able to provide her own transportation, I will probably give her a raise.

The best thing for my peace of mind when I have a sitter (particularly a new one) is my cell phone. I make it very clear that they can call me for any little thing, even if they just can't find the napkins or whatever, and it won't bother me.

Good luck! I hope it works out well.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We've always paid 7-10 dollars an hour depending on our location. I think with college aged sitters you tend to go higher. I don't think you can get a "sleeping kids" rate although I like that concept!

I'd ask her what her normal rate is per hour and see if she comes up with anything. Likely, she's done some sitting and she'll tell you. If she doesn't, I'd start with 7 and see if she goes for it.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I agree with the 7-10 per hour. It seems to be the going rate around here for everyone, no matter their age. I have two super easy kids who people love to babysit for and tell me that my kids are the easiest kids to watch, but I still pay around $8 per hour. I like to have college kids. One of the nurses at dh's work has watched them, and I have another resident spouse that I trade sitting with. It is invaluable to get out without your kids. For me, I couldn't watch 4 kids. It just isn't in my makeup! LOL. Wait, I watch another resident's two kids with my two kids. My 8 year old is more like another pair of eyes and a helper than someone I have to watch though.

Once again this year we are going to try to go out once a month. Didn't happen last year. Think it will this year?
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Agreed - $7 to 10, especially for college age. As much as I'd like a "they're sleeping" rate, I don't think that one will fly. She might agree to it the first time, but there probably wouldn't be a 2nd time.

Comment

Well, here in overpriced DC, we paid $14 an hour. (although the night Amy Denise the nursery school teacher babysat, we felt it was well worth it. The night the college student without CPR or First Aid? Not so much)

Jenn

Comment

Here college-aged kids get $10, but they drive a ways to our house. A couple high school girls in the neighborhood gets $6/hr. I prefer the older babysitters and don't mind paying more for peace of mind. I also have trust issues and troubles leaving my kids.

Jennifer
              Needs

Comment

When I babysat a few years ago I was always paid $10/hr + $1/hr for each extra child. So who knows! I guess it depends on the area!! I pay the guy who walks my dog more than $6/hr...

Comment

$10/ hr here for two kids with a college age sitter is the norm around here. When I was working, I paid $8/hr for one child (same sitter got $10 for two).

With a high schooler, I can do $8/hr for two but that often involves driving. It is soooooo nice when they have their own transportation. And a good sitter is priceless -- I'm willing to pay to keep them around.

Something you might want to try to get used to her and have her get used to your kids is have her watch your kids while you are home for a few hours. If that goes well, it might be easier to leave for a little while.

Comment

Amy, yes she has a name, came over tonight. Great girl. Ds took to her so much he refused to go to bed and wanted her to hold him the whole time she was here. Dd loved her and talked her ear off, and baby dd was a bit scared but was okay towards the end. We decided on $9/hr. Bonus, she takes care of a metally challenged girl during the day. If she can do that, I know she can handle my beasts...er....babes.

Im gonna have her over to hang out for a couple hrs on Sat while Im home (with pay!) just to see how things go. Maybe I can :@

Thanks for all the input...I really feel comfortable with her so far. Down side, she goes back to Miami in August...BUT maybe she knows someone else!!

Oh, and she doesnt mind my houseful of pets, either.....pre-vet student!!

Comment

Another thing...dh and I, we're SO LAME! We totally talked her ear off after the kids went to bed. She was very kind about it and had pleanty to say herself.....but really....it is clear that I need another adult besides dh in my life.

Comment

Yeah! I'm so glad it worked out. Hopefully she will come home on school breaks and be interested in babysitting.

Enjoy your time on Saturday. :@

Comment

Working...
                        X