Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Getting out of the house...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting out of the house...

What is your advice about getting out of the house in the morning with kids within a decent amount of time?

Whether you have 1, 2 or 5 kids, I need your suggestions! I still don't have it down yet.

Jennifer
    Needs

• Pack your "essentials bag the night before" add things quickly in the morning if necessary
      Lay out clothes the night before
      as a parent, get up at least one hour before you want to leave the house (before the kids get up I have the car loaded, the eggs scrambled, the breakfast stuff out and I'm dressed and showered... it REALLY HELPS)

ummm. That's what I do and it seems to really help.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Be completely ready yourself before they get up.
      Lay out their clothes the night before.
      Streamline breakfast as much as possible.
      Set timers to keep them moving and explain what needs to be done before the bell rings.

It gets easier......

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I find that making a plan for the next morning the night before with the kids helps. If you are doing summer stuff - not school - and the events are unique, you can usually get them excited about tomorrow morning.

In the morning, do not let them get involved in anything else - a game, a TV show, coloring a picture, NOTHING! Just concentrate on everyone getting up, ready and getting out the door. If one person is done, get them to do something towards leaving - like packing some waters for Mommy or checking your bag. Busy work is good to keep them from getting attached to some other activity when you are focused on leaving.

Getting up first is critical around here. So is leaving early. In fact, I will leave early to get breakfast somewhere if I think hanging out at home will result in more difficulty leaving later in the morning. (I will also avoid going home after school if we have an after school event to go to soon.) We don't have issues on school day mornings, but we do with weekend trips, errands and optional activities. They get started on something and want to change the plan. I have to keep them on target, or we end up debating/fighting about getting out the door.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Well, because my babes are younger and Im NOT a morning person...this is what I do. I get up, shower and dress. I only dress my bottom half and of course undergarments. Do hair/makeup. Get the kids up, let them wake up for a bit then get them started on a light breakfast. I cant eat heavy in the morning, so I dont expect them to. After they eat we brush teeth and hair then get dressed. On the way out the door, I throw on the shirt/sweater/blouse I plan on wearing. Even tho we are thru the spit up stage...it never fails to have someone/something spill on my shirt.

The night before as mentioned by everyone else....I get as much as possible ready. Outfits, pre-made meals, bottles, diapers bags, extra clothes.

I give myself an hr per kid. If I have to be somewhere at 9am, the kids get up at 6.

I have been told it gets easier as they get older....and Im counting on it. A routine is great! Good luck.
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I too am a big fan of the car diaper bag. I restock it as needed, but for the most part I always have a change of clothes, diapers, wipes, snack, juice box, toys, books etc in the car which is usually within walking distance of where I am. That way I dont have to spend lots of time getting packed up in the AM.
            Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I'm not good about getting things ready the night before, but I am pretty good about getting the kiddos out the door in a timely manner (well, I was...I'm not sure now!).
              I find it helps if I'm up first. If I can squeeze in a shower before they get up all the better. When the kids get up, I don't let myself get sucked in by the TV or the computer if we really need to be somewhere. I feed them breakfast, while they are eating I unload the dishwasher so dishes don't pile up. I also use that time to pack lunches if that is necessary or get anything else ready that we need to get out the door. Once they are done, I send them to get dressed. Luckily, my girls can and will dress themselves. I also don't let them watch TV until they are dressed and have brushed their teeth on days that we need to get out the door. I keep a toothbrush in the downstairs bathroom so that I can brush my own teeth if I don't have time to run back upstairs.
              I think the key is not to let yourself get distracted and to keep your eye on the clock. My kids can't tell time yet, but we use the length of cartoons as a timetable so they know that if I say they have about as much time as one cartoon, that is about 30 minutes.
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
              X