Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sleeping in the crib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping in the crib

Before this baby came along I really felt like I had this baby thing licked. This one, however, has me feeling like I know nothing! His repertoire includes 3 states--he is either asleep, eating or crying. I think he does have reflux, so am going to ask a ped. to call in a script for us today. Another problem is that he pretty much wants to be in arms reach of me at all times. This means that not only am I toting him around all day, at night he pretty much won't sleep unless he is in my bed. He was kind of taking a pacifier his first couple of weeks but is totally rejecting it now (I think the reflux has something to do with it--he is acting like he is gagging everytime I try to put it in his mouth). He's way too young to cry it out, do you guys have any other tricks up your sleeves to get him to sleep in his crib? I have tried rocking him to sleep, waiting until he is in a nice deep sleep, but he wakes up when I'm transitioning him. I've tried singing him to sleep, standing there patting his tummy, etc. Nothing works!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Will he sleep in the car seat? Take him for a ride and place the car seat in the crib while he is still asleep. Let him sleep in the swing?

My babies slept with me, so I am not much help, but I do agree that it is too early for cry it out.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I second the car seat option - or elevating the top of the crib to put him at an angle.

If it is more the need to be cuddled than reflux alone, here are a few things that worked with my clingy baby. Leave an item of your clothing behind when you put them down deeply asleep. Let them sleep in a stroller after falling asleep walking. "Wear" them to sleep in a baby sling and then remove the sling - baby and all - and put them down in the sling in the crib. If you nurse them to sleep, place the baby on a big pillow resting in your lap. After they fall asleep, put the pillow in the crib underneath them. (Safety alert with that one - you need to be careful about soft bedding risks.) That's all I got.

Good luck finding a solution. If you don't have a sling, try one. If they won't ever separate at least you can still get something done. My second lived in the sling for the first 8 mos. It was very easy and she was very happy.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Swaddling?

I had a lot of luck with the kids sleeping in those vibrating bouncy seats.

Hopefully, getting meds for the reflux will help a lot.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions guys! I will try each and every one of them. My first baby was kind of like this, and I pretty much wore her all the time, I don't know why I haven't done this much with Sean. I have a Baby Bjorn and he does tolerate it well (pretty much sleeps when in it). I think it's a combo of the reflux issue (so laying flat isn't comfy for him) plus he really seems to want to be close to me. I'm hoping that if his temperant is like Maya's as a baby that he will be like her as a toddler as well. She was a hard baby, but ended up being an awesome toddler and now is an inceredibly obedient child. My other two were a cakewalk as babies but have really kept me on my toes ever since.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Devon and Donathan both had tummy problems. I found that if i boiled some water and droped a starlight mint in there let it cool to room temp and let them sip on it a bit, that it helped settle their tummys and they could relax more.

Comment

Working...
            X