Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

kids' activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kids' activities

The brochures are rolling in for fall activities. Do you have any rules or policies about your kids' activities? In our household, DS does nothing in the summer (too much other great stuff to do), 2 activities in the fall and spring, and 3 in the winter (hey the winter is loooong here and he's got energy galore). Also, I avoid things that require us showing up more than once a week. (e.g. soccer practice at his age is 20 minutes of skills before the game). Right now, I try to make him try different stuff although already we're getting repeats as he discovers what he likes.

Still, I'm slightly overwhelmed by the prices and scheduling of these things. I'm thinking about "stacking" his activities so that he does something at 9 and 11 on Saturday morning and that is it. Otherwise I get stressed out running around through out the week.

What is your policy?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I would love to know what everyone else does as we arent at this stage yet. I just had DD in kindermusik and was shocked at the cost. I wanted to do it again, but couldnt justify the expense.
    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

One sport per season, and one musical thing. DS #3 is just starting into the world of extra-curricular activities, but the other two play soccer in the fall and basketball in the winter, and do swim team in the spring/summer, along with taking piano lessons.

That may not always work, but I will hold to it as long as I can b/c when you multiply that by three.......I am running around a lot! When DH is able to help, he does, but it doesn't happen enough that I can ever count on it, due to his schedule.

Sueanne, I did Kindermusik with my youngest last year. It was the first time I felt like I could afford it, but I didn't sign him up for next year. I feel like I could dig out my "rhythm band" from my teaching days and play some classical cds and get the same results! The main thing is that children have exposure to ALL KINDS of music and are encouraged to "express themselves" musically as well. I bet you could do things at home that would achieve the same benefits that Kindermusik provides.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
        I bet you could do things at home that would achieve the same benefits that Kindermusik provides.
        I agree. We've done Music Together at times and really enjoyed it, but I don't think there is anything magic about it. It is a nice way to meet other families, though.

We do about two things. We are continuing swimming through the summer, once a week, and DD is doing a few camps. I don't know if we will do swimming and soccer (practice 1x/week) at the same time in the fall. I try to keep a few school days open per week as a general rule.

I was wondering about that activities for 3, Sally. I realized that next year we will be able to do more of that and things could get busy!

Comment

One sport/athletic thing, one more intellectual pursuit per season for each kid. That's the limit. If they don't want to do something, I haven't forced the. DS plays soccer, basketball and baseball. He's starting guitar lessons this year. DD does ballet on Saturdays and horseback riding one afternoon. She tried piano but it was too much for her after school at her age (6).

We actually like trying out new stuff in the summer before trying it in the school year. The energy level for adding in a "new adventure" is low with homework and a full school day. It has resulted in tons of whining in the past. The Saturday activities have been a huge hit, because after school for DD is needed downtime. The downside is that you can't go away on the weekends without scheduling a makeup or missing a game.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
          X