Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bumbo Baby Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumbo Baby Seat

Sounds like you had successful Target trip! I hope the blankie and seat bring you much sanity.

Annie, I was going to start a thread about the bumbos too.

We bought one for Zoe as well, but she wasn't as "into it". One of our pedi friends had recommended it and said that the physical therapists recommend it for kids.

Yesterday we had our NICU follow-up appointment and the occupationa therapist told us "under no circumstances" should they really be used. Apparently, the way that the baby balances herself using her own weight puts undo pressure on the hips that can cause big problems later when it comes time for walking, etc. She said they were only being suggested for babies that have head shape problems and they're trying to avoid helmets, etc....but that even then caution is being used with recommending them.

Zoe also arched her back whenever she was in it and nearly popped right out of it one time...so for me, it's $40 down the drain.....

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Well, she also told me under no circumstances to use an exersaucer because it would effect foot flexion or something...but... ....I'm not giving up our exersaucer! So....I think you should be able to use with care....

If Zoe didn't hate her bumbo so much I'd still use it probably.

If anyonewants a free purple bumbo....I'll ship it to you.

Kris

Comment

people often attach "never" or "always" to things like that. I could see if Isabel were sitting in it 5 hours a day there could be problems - but for the amount of time she'll be in it at a sitting ...

please -- you'd have to pull my exersaucer from my cold, dead hands.

Comment

Originally posted by jesher

please -- you'd have to pull my exersaucer from my cold, dead hands.
          I was just getting ready to type the same thing until I saw that you said that. The exersaucer was a godsend.

Yeah, from a glance you can tell my kids are totally screwed up from the exersaucer.

Comment

I agree, everything in moderation. We never had a bumbo, a couple of the babies in our playgroup have it and really like it.
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

As an OT, I can tell you that you probably can't screw your kid up with and hour a day in a Bumbo or and exersaucer. We used the Bumbo and it was that great for that stage in between just getting head control and being able to sit on her own.

Comment

We had the bumbo too and he never sat that long in it any way but it was cool for the 15 mins he did....and umm, he started walking at 11 months so I don't think the bumbo ruined him.

Comment

Once mariolatry gave me the all clear I tried it out again. We lasted about 4 minutes

All things in moderation, I guess!!

kris

Comment

It looks cool. I know it would have been a waste of money for us, as the munchkin sat up and then crawled very shortly. He is now turning into a toddler- he's walking.

I agree with the exersaucer you'd have to pry it out of my cold, hard dead hands. I'm sad Reed has refused to use it for the last 5 months- stupid mobility.

Crystal
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

We bought one, but Xander's legs couldn't fit in it, he's kinda bigish....the exersaucer has been the best thing EVER!

Comment

Working...
                      X