Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The pitfalls of homeschooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pitfalls of homeschooling

Generally, it’s been going well, but we’ve had some issues. Aidan (11th grade) has an open period after lunch. He has laid down and taken a nap and missed the afternoon classes a couple of times. Today was one of them. Not surprisingly, the school sent us a warning email. Ugh. I’m on it. Also, today Zoe was having her violin lesson and her cat started meowing by the door. She let him in and then showed him to her teacher. The teacher got upset with her and lectured her on taking violin seriously and said she should have waited to get her cat. Zoe handled it pretty well. These are definitely not issues we would have in person. That being said, they are minor things!
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I ended up getting DS1 a very simple fit watch that has five timers on it. It goes off five minutes before each of this zoom sessions. It beeps and buzzes. This way if we lose track of time or Iam not around to remind him, he doesn't miss anything.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
      I ended up getting DS1 a very simple fit watch that has five timers on it. It goes off five minutes before each of this zoom sessions. It beeps and buzzes. This way if we lose track of time or Iam not around to remind him, he doesn't miss anything.
      Where did you get the watch? What brand?

Comment

Are you homeschooling or virtual schooling or both?

I opted to pull my son out of one of his virtual classes and homeschool just that one subject. So now he has two 30 minute breaks built into his synchronous virtual school schedule. He has class at 8, break, class at 9, break, class at 10 and 10:30. I am trying to get our homeschool material covered during the breaks so he can be mostly done for the day at 11, but I keep screwing up his schedule. >.< I made him miss ELA entirely once ("You don't have class now, you have break now!" "Are you sure, mom?" "Oh yes, I'm sure!") and I've made him 5-6 minutes late to class several times. I finally set an alarm.
        Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          Are you homeschooling or virtual schooling or both?

I opted to pull my son out of one of his virtual classes and homeschool just that one subject. So now he has two 30 minute breaks built into his synchronous virtual school schedule. He has class at 8, break, class at 9, break, class at 10 and 10:30. I am trying to get our homeschool material covered during the breaks so he can be mostly done for the day at 11, but I keep screwing up his schedule. >.< I made him miss ELA entirely once ("You don't have class now, you have break now!" "Are you sure, mom?" "Oh yes, I'm sure!") and I've made him 5-6 minutes late to class several times. I finally set an alarm.
          We are virtual schooling. The kids have 10-15 min breaks between classes and study halls. We sometimes miss things.

Comment

Its a Mobvoi ticband. I believe it came as a bonus with my husband's smart watch. I wouldn't purchase this one... not even sure you can anymore but there are other simple ones out there probably.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

-L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Interesting idea. I’ll look around. Thanks!

Comment

We were all disappointed to discover that the kids dropped from A’s to B’s across the board in nearly every class since going to homeschooling. It’s not the best school environment, but our teachers are working their butts off. We are supposed to return to in person on Jan 19 and both of my kids are refusing during covid. Aidan told me he couldn’t live his life if he knew he brought covid home and killed me. I tried comforting him and it didn’t work. Somehow, we have given our children the message that they are responsible for spreading disease and killing people. This is outrageous. The narrative must change.

Comment

Working...
                X