Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Heritage Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heritage Camp

Holy Moly. I haven't even really begun to process this experience but it was amazing.

To put it in to perspective, I started a journal when we embarked on Trip One to Russia and I continued it until the day before we landed at Dulles. I have NEVER even looked at it. I promised everyone here I'd write an article about our experiences and I even five years later, can't even fathom reliving it. Not that it was a terrible, horrible experience. It was so life-changing that there is no possible way that I can articulate it.

I just spent three days with 50 or more people who exactly understood what my experience was like. Not that they'd had the same experience but we'd all had crazy/horrible/wonderful journeys to get our kids. One family had 14 hour train rides. One family flew to Moldova on "Moldova Airlines." We had people who adopted 20 years ago and people who got back from Russia last year. People who adopted 8 and 10 year olds and one woman who through a very small crack in the system actually adopted her daughter at 4.5 months. Uzbekistan, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, it was AWESOME.

They had a map of Russia and Eastern Europe and everyone was to put a thumbtack on where the kids came from. I took a picture but it won't be nearly as impressive as it was in person.

and the kids? The older kids were better able to articulate how they were feeling but so many in writing about what it's meant to them said that they love being with people who look like them (there is a very Russian look whether they're from the European side or the Asian side) and with people who have the same story that they do.

They did crafts, music, dance, cooking (dude made blini and was soooo excited) and there's a Russian Circus in Salida Colorado that came in and taught the kids tumbling and acrobatics. His two counselors were both American born siblings of Russian kids- and they were fabulous. The one guy got Nikolai to do things that I (or his father) would never have been able to - to dance Russian music, to learn to roller-skate (the Friday night activity) and go off and wander the wilderness of Colorado in a scavenger hunt.

The parent groups talked about how they straddle two cultures and two identities and this is the one place they don't have to feel guilty about 'being picked' or resentment for being adopted or confusion (especially for the littler kids) about why "my mommy" couldn't take care of me and gave me away. There were groups geared to taking your child back to see their homeland and groups about parenting your tween adopted child (some one shoot me then). One women that I became pretty friendly with said that she was so relieved to discover that her tween's issues were exactly what she thought they were- that there were resources, etc.

We also learned more about the culture and background. Apparently my son's insistence at always toasting is cultural. And if someone insincerely compliments your child you are to sprinkle salt over your child's head to wash away the sweet insincerity and you always leave an offering to your benevolent house spirit.

I'm going to be percolating on this for a while. But much like iMSN is such a relief to find because we all 'get it'- this group of people all 'gets it' for the Russian adoptive family. We're going back next year, that's for sure.

Jenn

I loved reading this, jenn! Thanks for sharing. I'm
    glad you both had such an awesome time! It sounds amazing
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

How really, truly cool! It is a real blessing that you are investing so much in making sure The Little Dude knows about his birth culture and customs. I'm glad you had such a great time with folks who'd gone through the same thing!

Comment

That sounds amazing! I'm so glad you and The Dude got to go!
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

So cool!!!!
          -Ladybug

Comment

Very cool, thanks for sharing that with us!
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

That sounds like an amazing place. I am glad it was such a wonderful experience for you. Thank you for sharing this.
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Sounds like it was an incredible experience for both of you. Glad that it was something everyone could benefit from I would love to see the pic of the map if you get a chance.
                Danielle
                Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Wow, Jenn. What an awesome experience! It sounds truly amazing! How did Nikolai like it?

Kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Sounds amazing!

Comment

that's awesome! I want to go, too!!

Comment

Nikolai loved it. Yesterday morning as we were leaving he said, "Mommy, I'm sad to be leaving but happy to be going home." He bonded instantly with another little boy and the two were inseparable the entire time. He also benefited from having NO parental interaction during the day. He got to experience things and stretch him mind and body without me there watching. I think that was probably the most beneficial part.

Jenn

Comment

That sounds really cool! And I would like to hear your adoption story very much
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

That sounds amazing Jenn - so glad you have that connection!
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It sounds like you and The Dude have made some friends for life that truly understand. What more can you ask for!?!? Wow! I'm really glad to hear it lived up to all your expectations. Can't wait to see that map pic!
                              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                              X