Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Letter from our Baby Home Medical Director

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from our Baby Home Medical Director

I've shared that through the miracle of social networking, I've become a member of about 30 families who all adopted our kids from the same Russian Baby Home. Helene (in France) was the instigator and she's been sending the most amazing art and letters to the Baby Home w/ pictures of our kids. (and their art and this year she made a cd in each language of each adoptive country of the kids' favorite music- Spanish, French, and English)

This is the letter she got back today from the Baby Home- and I think it's beautiful and what any internationally adopted child needs to hear. I'm planning on printing it on nice paper and putting it away until we hear the hard questions. (and Julie or Cristina, if you see any translation issues can you let me know what they are?

December 2011

Our beloved wards,
    Today, I want to speak to all of you who spent time with us in the Kungur Baby Home, because we continue to love you even years after you have gone to your new homes.
    Each one of you has taken a part of our heart, and it’s not a secret that each one of you had a favorite caregivers or a favorite educator, and, sometimes, there are children that the women of baby home love especially...

As some of adoptive parents have shared with me their concerns and their problems, I decided to speak with you about adoption with this letter.

I understand that you have a lot of questions, because you know that your parents are not biological, but adoptive. Some of you are bothered with questions such as: Who were my biological parents? Why did they leave me? Why didn’t they want me? Was I so ugly that my parents did not like me? Or did I do something bad, and that’s why they left me? We can continue this list infinitely.

I suggest you try to find answers to these questions, and maybe you will find answers to other questions that seem to you unsolvable. Of course, it’s sometimes difficult to learn the truth, because it can be sometimes very hard.

If you are ready to face the truth, read this letter till the end.

Now, most important is to understand that your parents are the ones who bring up you, and not the ones who gave you birth.

The biological parents gave you only the body, and into this body, we have to put also soul, reason, perception of the world, good attitude towards others, notion of good and evil, and many other things. It is adoptive parents who are going to fill this precious container. It takes very meticulous work everyday. Everything depends on which world they show you: if, everyday, you are surrounded with love, goodness, sweetness, mutual understanding, you will feel a circle of kindness and tenderness.
    Of course, your parents can punish you, express their opinion, and evaluate your behavior, and that’s good, because if everything is permitted to a child, this can led him to be a selfish person and create someone who will never understand what is good and what is wrong. All this could lead you to be under the influence of bad people, and your life, which was beautiful and happy can turn to tragedy.
    It’s not a secret that your biological parents were children once too. They grew up and discovered the world, but perhaps without listening to their parent’s advice. They did not know the good from the bad.
    Their life may have taken a bad path, they began to fail, their evolution stopped, and in general life like this quickly degenerates. They thought that their life was normal, but they didn’t feel joy anymore. Possibly they were not able to have normal relationships with other people, and all their life was reduced to the satisfaction of superficial pleasures – alcohol or drugs - Because they give temporary pleasure. But all these substances destroyed them. Their close relations and their family did not interest them any more, especially the children, because generally children prevent one from forgetting themselves. It often happens that this sort of parents leave their children at the bus stop, or alone at home without food and without clothes. It could be that some children died because of this type of negligence.
    Of course, sometimes there are cases where the mother can’t bring up her child because of her difficult financial situation. She could make the right choice, to preserve the life of her child by putting her child into the Baby home. With this act, she gives them the chance to live and to grow up.
    Everybody comes into the world to learn something and to teach something to someone.
    That is why you should not blame your biological parents for having given you up at a difficult time. They preserved the important thing - your life. Thank them. And if you keep this perspective of your biological parents all your life, maybe something will change in their lives as well.

Thank your adoptive parents because they made a very important decision: to adopt.

Before coming to the baby home each of you had a way of life that many people could not survive. When you arrived at the Baby home, few of you knew anything except water and bread. At the Baby home there was other food, but hunger had been so constant in your early months that you ate in large quantities and only after satiety you began to choose foods by taste.
    You lived painful moments, and I would like so much to keep those moments at bay. I would like so much for your biological parents be good people in your minds.

That’s why I thank your adoptive parents. They give you their souls, knowledge, a home and their immense love.
    I read all the letters I receive, and look at the pictures. Pictures will never lie. We can write that everything is going well but children’s eyes never lie. If he or she is not doing well, it is evident in their eyes.

Even I’m not always able to give to my children as your adoptive parents give to you. They help you to overcome your fears, to overcome your uncertainties, even to overcome what you have only imagined.
    To help you, it’s necessary to have conversations with your parents, to find an outlet for your emotions, and you have to make sure parents understand your problems. If you don’t speak about your problems, your parents don’t know you have concerns. You have to be patient and you have to find courage to speak to your parents and to listen to them as well.
    The life experiences of your parents can help you find answers to the difficulties you could meet on your road.

When we entrust you to your adoptive parents, we always hope that your potential will totally emerge, with your parents help, and we hope that you will offer all your love and your sweetness to them and your new family.

And finally, every child looks like their adoptive parents. Look at the pictures where you are together, one looks like Mum, another looks like Dad. It’s the law of nature, the parent is the one who brings you up.

Thank you for your attention.
    With respect, Baby Home Chief Medical Officer
    Olga

Здравствуй наш любимый воспитанник.
    Я обращаюсь к любому из вас , кто воспитывался у нас в Доме ребенка с такими словами, потому что мы дорожим вами и продолжаем любить даже спустя много лет. Каждый из вас, усыновленный у нас, унес с собой частичку нашего тепла, и не секрет, у каждого из вас была своя любимая воспитательница или нянечка. Так же, у каждого воспитателя и нянечки были свои любимчики.
    Столкнувшись с такой проблемой как непонимание своих приемных родителей, я решила с помощью письма поговорить с вами на эту тему.
    Я понимаю, что у каждого из вас возникает масса вопросов, потому что , чаще всего вы знаете, что это не ваши родные родители, а приемные. Вас мучают вопросы такого характера как: а почему меня бросили, почему я стал ей не нужен, неужели я так ужасен, что я не нравился своим родителям, а может я что то сделал не так , что родители меня оставили.Таких вопросов можно перечислять очень долго. Давайте попробуем вместе ответить на вопросы и может быть разрешить порой неразрешимые и найти ответ на вопрос. Конечно правда бывает некрасивой, порой ужасна, и иногда лучше сказать маленькую ложь, чем нанести удар, после которого не могут восстановиться.
    Если ты готов посмотреть правде в глаза, то прочитай это письмо до конца.
    Самое главное сейчас понять, что не тот родитель кто родил, а тот кто воспитал. Родной родитель дал только тело,в которое нужно вложить душевную теплоту, разум, восприятие мира, отношение к окружающим, понятие добра и зла и много других понятий. И вот заполнением драгоценного сосуда занимаются ваши приемные родители. Ведь это такая кропотливая ежедневная работа. Как они вам покажут ваш мир таким он для вас будет, если каждый день окружает любовь, доброта, ласка , взаимопонимание, так и вы будете воспринимать окружающих с добротой и лаской. Конечно приемный родитель может и наказать и высказать свое мнение по поводу происходящего и даст оценку вашего поведения, это правильно. Потому что если все дозволено для ребенка, это приводит к формированию эгоистической личности, не можете разобраться, что хорошо , а что плохо. Все это может привести к тому, что вы можете попасть под влияние таких людей, что ваша жизнь из прекрасной, радостной превратиться в трагическую. Ведь не секрет, что ваши родные родители тоже были детьми,также росли воспринимали окружающий мир таким каким он есть, но не воспринимая наставления родителей, не сформировали правильного отношения к добру и злу, плохому и хорошему. И их жизнь пошла другой дорогой, они начали деградировать как личность, их развитие прекратилось, а как правило это очень быстро затягивает, и такая жизнь кажется им нормой, в жизни для них больше нет радости от нормального человеческого общения, вся их жизнь начинает сводиться к удовлетворению низших потребностей -это где-то выпить спиртсодержащие вещества, или употребление наркотиков, или других стимуляторов, так они получали временное удовольствие.Но все эти вещества разрушают мозг-и их общение сводиться к тому что,где-то выпить, переспать, снова и снова все это повторяется. Им не интересно что происходит с родными и близкими, а особенно с детьми, ведь как правило дети мешают им забываться. Часто бывают случаи когда родители оставляют детей на остановках,или оставляют детей одних дома без еды, одежды.А очень часто бывает так что дети гибнут по вине родителей из-за их невнимательности. Конечно бывают случаи, когда мама не может воспитывать своего ребенка в связи с тяжелым материальным положение, и сделав правильный выбор за сохранение жизни ребенка она отдает его на воспитание в дом ребенка. Но своим поступком она дает ему право жить и развиваться дальше, а не погибнуть. Ведь каждый человек приходит в этот мир для того чтобы научиться чему-либо, научить другого человека чему-либо. Поэтому не надо обвинять своих родных родителей, что они отказались от вас в трудную минуту, они вам сохранили самое драгоценное -это вашу жизнь. Поблагодарите их мысленно за это. И если вы пронесете эту благодарность по своей жизни к своим родителям(биологическим), то может в их жизни что-то будет меняться.
    Благодарите своих приемных родителей. Ведь тот шаг который они сделали, чтобы усыновить, принять в свою семью, это очень ответственный шаг. Ведь до поступления в дом ребенка каждый из вас прошел огромный жизненный путь, который не каждый взрослый может выдержать. Многие из вас при поступлении не знали, что кроме воды и хлеба существуют другие продукты питания, и видимо голод был постоянный.Потому что несколько месяцев просто ели в огромных колличествах, и только после насыщения начиналось выборочное отношение к еде. А про то что к вам относились жестоко, даже не хочется писать, пусть многие моменты из вашей жизни окажуться за кадром. Пусть в вашей памяти ваши родители будут хорошими.
    Поэтому спасибо всем вашим приемным родителям, что смогли отогреть ваши души, дать вам знания, воспитание,крышу над головой, а главное свою огромную любовь. Все письма которые приходят ко мне,я читаю, смотрю фотографии. Фотографии не обманут. Если в письмо можно написать что хорошо,то глаза ребенка никогда не обманут, если ему плохо. Даже я, не всегда могу дать своим детям столько, сколько дают ваши приемные родители,ведь им приходиться помогать преодолевать страхи,неуверенности,а может даже то, что вы для себя нафантазировали. Ведь, чтобы это преодолеть, необходимо очень корректно об этом вести беседу, найти выход эмоциям через какие то совместные занятия, найти общий язык для понимания ваших проблем. А если вы сами не говорите об какой либо проблеме, то родителям приходиться только догадываться, что с вами происходит, наберитесь и терпения и мужества чтобы и сказать что вас беспокоит и выслушать родителей. Ведь жизненный опыт родителей это путеводная звезда для преодоления преград стоящих на вашем пути.
    Когда мы передаем вас в руки приемных родителей, мы всегда надеемся, что потенциал скрытый в вас раскроется с помощью ваших родителей полностью, и вы будете дарить свою любовь,душевную теплоту родителям и всем своим новым родственникам.
    И напоследок- все дети похожи на своих приемных родителей. Посмотрите на фотографии где вы сфотографированы вместе с родителями, кто-то похож на маму,а кто-то на папу. Таков закон природы, кто воспитывает, тот и родитель.
    Спасибо за внимание.
    С уважением главный врач Дома ребенка Ольга

Beautiful. Made me cry and smile.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing

Comment

I don't speak Russian, but that was beautifully written. I'm glad to see that there are people who care in the system. There should be more Olgas out there.
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

Beautiful doesn't begin to describe it. Thanks for sharing Jenn!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Not a dry eye here. Thank you!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Beautiful!

Laurie
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

It's beautiful. What a wonderful woman.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Lovely. Really an amazing woman!
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Amazing letter. Tears are leaking out right now.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Really beautiful. I have a friend who is waiting to pick up her two girls in China. If you don't mind, I am going to pass it on.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Wow! What a wonderful letter. Several of my cousins were adopted internationally. They are almost adults now. Do you mind if I share the letter with them?
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Share the letter with whomever- that's partially why I posted it!

J.

Comment

What an amazing woman. Honestly, a lot of it is true of any adoptive child, not just international adoptions.
                            Kris

Comment

What a lovely note and a gift for all the children adopted from that home! I'm sure it is and will be cherished by your family and anyone else who adopted from that Baby Home.
                              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X