Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Potty Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty Woes

Perhaps Natalie is not having as much fun with me staying home with her as I thought! Today she peed on one of Sam's magazines (it was on the floor) and the bathroom rug. Supposedly on accident. ("It was an accident Mommy" said with a big smile. You could almost see the halo.) And she just peed on our bed. In the middle. When asked what happened: "I just peed Mommy" in a sugary sweet voice.

We don't punish for accidents - just clean up and move on - but the way she is telling me about them - I don't think that they are truly accidents. She is usually more upset and less smiley. And she hasn't had an accident in weeks......

And now she is upstairs in her room. She is supposed to be putting on dry panties and pants. But I can hear her singing and dancing.

This is supposed to be fun right?
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Re: Potty Woes

Uggh. Frustrating.

Can you just put a diaper back on her? She may not like that... But her peeing does sound intentional...
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I would guess that it's a delayed response from Lilly's passing.

(and probably the entire thing to be honest)

behaviorally, it's not uncommon for regression when big life events occur. I would just matter of factly put her back in diapers.

She'll get to the point where she wants to be a big girl again but I would hazard a guess that she needs to be your baby right now and that's what she's trying to tell you.

(she would have done this no matter what, so feel no sense of responsibility for this, its a developmental thing)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
        I would guess that it's a delayed response from Lilly's passing.

(and probably the entire thing to be honest)

behaviorally, it's not uncommon for regression when big life events occur. I would just matter of factly put her back in diapers.

She'll get to the point where she wants to be a big girl again but I would hazard a guess that she needs to be your baby right now and that's what she's trying to tell you.

(she would have done this no matter what, so feel no sense of responsibility for this, its a developmental thing)

Jenn
        Sounds like you're right on.
        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Kate,

Isn't potty training fun? I don't have any answers for you...just a It sounds like you're handling it wonderfully....I have a feeling this will pass and you'll be back to no accidents soon.

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Just keep doing what you are doing. I would say have no reaction and just matter-of-fact have her help you clean up.

For a while Anna was peeing on the couch/sleeper sofa in her room. Good times. She has since stopped even though a little piece of me wondered if she would be a serial couch pee-er.

Comment

We had a good, accident free day today so perhaps she was just in a mood yesterday. Though she did ask about Lilly a lot yesterday......hmmm....
              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Not that this is at all similar, or even particular helpful, but I feel your pain in terms of dealing with PT regression.

DS pulled a bunch of nonsense one week at nursery school, about two months after he PT. He and several other of the little boys just seemed to decide that they were too busy to be bothered, so they peed themselves as versus taking a break from play to go inside and pee.

The school told me about it after it had been going on for a couple of days.

I told DS that they were going back to the "baby room" (his first classroom, when he was 2 years old). This was, of course, a total lie, but who cares? It was an effective threat. He flipped, and begged not to be sent back.

No more deliberate "refusal" to pee.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                  Not that this is at all similar, or even particular helpful, but I feel your pain in terms of dealing with PT regression.

DS pulled a bunch of nonsense one week at nursery school, about two months after he PT. He and several other of the little boys just seemed to decide that they were too busy to be bothered, so they peed themselves as versus taking a break from play to go inside and pee.

The school told me about it after it had been going on for a couple of days.

I told DS that they were going back to the "baby room" (his first classroom, when he was 2 years old). This was, of course, a total lie, but who cares? It was an effective threat. He flipped, and begged not to be sent back.

No more deliberate "refusal" to pee.
                  We have a regresser here too. My 3 yr old was fully trained at 26 months, then got croup (he gets it all the time, this one was severe that included an ambulance trip) he regressed, then closer to 30 months, fully trained, another round of croup with an ER visit this time. 36 months, same thing. It seems like every time he finally agree to pee in the potty he gets croup. I know its coincidence, but its frustrating. We are working on it again. he's 3 1/2. He knows how to do it and when to do it, he just choses not to now, so we have the reward system going. candy, choco. milk, stickers, whatever he wants that is small.

Comment

Working...
                  X