Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Preschool Ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preschool Ratios

We're in the process of interviewing preschools and I'm curious as to what everyone's experience has been with teacher:child ratios. The preschool we toured today has a 1:10 ratio for their 3yo class which seems really high to me....during college, I worked at a preschool that had a 1:4 ratio in the 3's class. State law allows 1:15, so maybe 1:10 isn't so bad? All other aspects of this particular school seem like a great fit for us and I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the teachers. I'm just afraid that DS will feel like he's lost in a sea of kids. :huh:

We're scheduled to tour a few more schools and I'm anxious to see what they have to offer. What is the ratio in your child's class?

Re: Preschool Ratios

Quinn's class (4 year olds, even though he's 5 ... he was 4 when the year started ) is 12 kids. There's 1 teacher and 1 aide that is hers most of the day. The aides can float when one group needs help w/a big project or something, so I'm sure the 12:1 is within the state guidelines, but they have at least 2 adults in there 95% of the time.

Comment

I think ours is 1:7 in the 3s class. There were 14 kids and two teachers. It didn't seem like a sea of kids because they had centers and tables where the kids weren't all clumped together.

Our 4.5 class was 11 to 1 teacher which kind of stunk. It was nice having a smaller class, yet the teacher wasn't ideal.
      Needs

Comment

Ours is 1:10. However, their days are Morning Circle, classroom circle, activities, snack, outside playtime, lunch, nap, activities, afternoon circle, snack, outside playtime. He gets yoga two afternoons a week, music three afternoons a week and French every day- but no activity is longer than 20 minutes except playtime, naps and lunch.

Namaste-

Jenn

Comment

Thank you, ladies. It's a relief to know that 1:10 isn't out of the norm.

Originally posted by Phoebe
          It didn't seem like a sea of kids because they had centers and tables where the kids weren't all clumped together.
          It is the same setup at this particular school. We sat in on the class for awhile and the teacher seemed to do a great job in addressing the needs of all of the children. DS can be very timid when around other kids his age (he's very outgoing with adults and older kids, though) so I'm worried that he'll sort of fall into the shadows.

Comment

Good preschool teachers will gravitate towards those shy kiddos and try to make sure they stay involved. Our first preschool experience was not a good one (the JCC in Cleveland Heights). But the place Quinn is now (that I mentioned before) is wonderful. IMO it's more about the teachers than the ratios (assuming the ratios are reasonable, of course), so if you get a good vibe from them and have heard good things, I'd feel safe.

Comment

1:4 prior to Christmas
              1:7 after Christmas

(this is for three year olds as well)
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

We also have 14 kids, with 2 teachers in the room all the time. It's very structured, it works well. I am not worried about the ratio at all....

(I'm just extremely happy that he is happy with preschool and he loves his teachers!)
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by Makai
                  DS can be very timid when around other kids his age (he's very outgoing with adults and older kids, though) so I'm worried that he'll sort of fall into the shadows.
                  If this is his first experience with a structured school-like setting, I would make that abundantly clear to the teachers in the room. Our son changed schools recently and the transition was a bit rough for us. Thankfully he seems to have found his place in his group of kids and has settled in nicely. If the teachers are doing their jobs, they will ensure that he is appropriately involved in the group activities.

Good luck!
                  Kris

Comment

1:11 for the 4 year old class (with 1 teacher - parents do try to come in and help out). DD has an amazing teacher. . .she is incredible with the kids and makes it seem like a very small, tight-knit bunch. It's really all about the teacher. If DD had been assigned to a few other teachers in the same preschool, I probably wouldn't have rave reviews.

Comment

Working...
                    X