Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Colic advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colic advice

So, our little boy who is pretty perfect all day has colic. He is so alert and calm during the day, and then 8:30 or 9:00 comes around (right when DD is getting to bed and I'm really ready for a break), and the screaming begins. I'm actually excited - it only lasted three hours tonight.

Any advice?

I am going to add Kefir and yogurt back into my diet (I had cut out all dairy, just in case it was upsetting his stomach) - the data on probiotics looks pretty promising, and those are usually staples in my diet.

I'm exhausted and out of ideas - any and all are welcome! Our first child literally cried so rarely that her daycare provider would call on days she did cry, just to let me know that she did, in fact, know how to cry. I think because of the contrast in the two kids, this is hitting us a little harder than it would otherwise. Plus, DS now keeps me up until 1 or 2am with screaming, and then DD is up at 8am because she's two. Add a feeding somewhere in there, and I have a great recipe for exhaustion. Help!
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Re: Colic advice

I'm sorry. I know how tough it is to have an inconsolable babe.

I didn't know that about the probiotics. Wish I did! I do eat a fair amount of yogurt (w/ active cultures) but I'm not sure if there is a certain amount needed?

I don't know if this fits the colic definition but reflux was a huge issue. I so wish I had known earlier or pushed harder to just try treating it. Zantac, along with getting older I think, helped a ton.

I think she also just has a more sensitive personality. :huh:

Have you read The Happiest Baby on the Block? Maybe the swaddling and shushing -- and whatever the other S's are -- would help. Does he like a swing?

Hang in there!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
      Maybe the swaddling and shushing -- and whatever the other S's are --
      Side, swaying, and sucking! More than once I've been in the rocking chair, clutching a baby who's on the brink between freaking out or giving up and going to sleep--afraid to stop for a second lest she choose freakout--and racking my brain for the 5th S. I seem to forget a different one each time, and when I remember it, it's invariably something I'm already doing.

Deebs, I got nothin'. Except sympathy and respect.

Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I have no advice on colic, but having had screaming kids for other reasons, you have my sympathy.

Comment

how about those gas drops for babies? it starts with an M. massaging the babys belly? i did both for dd #2 and it seemed to help.

for you...taking a break by putting baby in a safe secure location, setting a timer for 5-7 minutes and walking away. (i also did this)
          im so sorry that your household is going thru this.
          big hugs!
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Babywearing. I know my response for all things parenting But seriously there was a study that showed that infants worn for 3h/day cried about 50% less. Thoughts are that it decreases overstimulation throughout the day....but at the very least, you can wear a crying baby and do the dishes while not feeling like you are totally ignoring your child.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

The gas drops are called Mylicon drops and they did little help with DD1. We tried EVERYTHING! Pediatrician finally said she must just have "personality colic". :huh:

We tried camomille (sp?) tea, mylicon drops, super expensive nutramigen formula, soy formula, putting her on the washing machine while it ran, and guess what finally worked? The vacuum!!! As soon as I would turn it on, the crying would stop. If I turned it off too soon, the crying would resume. It was like magic. I ran out of places to vacuum so I would just let it run. Well I apparently did that too much because one day the motor blew out!

I truly hope you find something that works, because I know how frusterating it is to have a crying baby that you can help. I wanted to rip my eyeballs out.
              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Okay, so we've done babywearing (I was doing that before it started), Mylicon drops, riding in the car, cutting out dairy and almost all vegetables, adding yogurt back after cutting dairy didn't resolve it. I think tonight will be onto vacuuming (thanks for the warning, though - I'll use my old vacuum, not the Dyson). I actually think he may be getting better, but I'm so exhausted that I really have no perspective left. Fortunately, we are going back to Chicago tomorrow for a week to see the grandparents. I"m thinking maybe they'll cure him. If not, I'll be into the pediatrician when we get back, and I may give in and let them medicate him for reflux. I just hate the thought of such a tiny babe being on meds. I'll keep you guys posted, but your support (as usual) is keeping me sane.
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'm so sorry. You must be exhausted.

Try the Cozy Cocoon? That is my answer for all baby problems.

Comment

I know...at least the Zantac doesn't have many side effects.

I hope the grandparents are a cureall.

I

Comment

I've seen infants placed on meds for reflux and it is a miracle. If you have ever had reflux you know it can really be painful. If the medication works you will be so happy and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I would give the baby reflux meds and yourself a glass of wine!!!! Good luck.

Last year when I was assigned to a family practice clinic we had a beautiful 6 Month baby girl (VERY OVERWEIGHT) being treated for asthma. It was really sad, she was in and out of the ER every week and they had her on maximum doses of steroids. She was waiting for approval to go to a pediatric pulmonologist and that was taking forever. They were on Medicaid and it was difficult to find a Pulmonologist for her. Long story short, I suggested reflux and they looked at me like I was nuts. I had been an Endoscopy and ER nurse for a long time and DH is a Pulmonologist so I was familiar with it. It was so sweet, they treated her for reflux and weaned her off of the steroids and she DID NOT have asthma, her wheezing was all from aspiration. It was so rewarding for me as an NP student and the clinic staff will always remember to consider reflux.
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Like others have said, I would try moving bedtime up. When he was little, my son went to bed by 7:30 or so. Heck - he is 5 and still does!

If it is reflux related, and you are bottle feeding I have heard really good things about the Dr. Brown bottles. They have a funky mechanism to regulate the amount of air that baby can ingest.

Good luck.
                        Kris

Comment

Working...
                        X