Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Advice on giving medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on giving medicine

DS has a cough. It's one of those coughs that once started, pushes him into a marathon coughing spell, waking him up at night, and generally making him miserable. I have Pedia Care cough medicine which he hates. He fights me, turns his head, covers his mouth, clamps his mouth shut, and if I do manage to get any cough medicine in his mouth, spits it back out (sometimes in my face)

Any advice on how to get a 2 year old to take cough medicine, or tips on tasty cough syrup for kids?

Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Re: Advice on giving medicine

I've always loved the grape flavor of dimetapp, and hated the fake "cherry" flavors of most of the others. :huh:

No real tips, though; our cats hate their liquid meds, too, and it's a PITA every evening.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

One large spoon full of blackberry brandy.

Will make whatever you were using before taste that much better.

Comment

I'm not sure if we're supposed to give cough meds to 2 y.o.'s anymore... but I used tylenol cold plus cough, b/c they were already used to the flavor.

straight cough medicine is pretty nasty.

dimetapp is dosed for 6 and up...
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I asked my ped who is also a friend for a codiene based cough syrup for my 4yo, and he said no. He said most peds wont give it anymore. FWIW, blackberry brandy prob helps the cough the same and tastes better.
          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I only buy the Delsym cough syrup. It is more expensive, but it lasts for 12 hours and it has a sweet orange flavor. It is well worth the extra cost. You could give him the choice of two different syrups and let him drink it out of one of those little dosing cups. Maybe having his own "choice" would deal with the two-year old "I'm in charge here" syndrome. If he isn't old enough to do that, I'd go for the squirt and hold method. Use a large syringe (no needle of course), squirt the stuff in the back of their mouth and just hope they swallow enough to get a dose.

My daughter used to spit the stuff back at me when I had to dose her with antibiotics for chronic ear infections. Good times.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

so that they don't just hold the medicine in their mouth using the squirt method, you can pinch the nose shut so that they have to swallow it. (so the squirt and pinch?) I've used this for sheer desperation only--- it's a 2 person job too...
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
              X