Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Breastfeeding Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breastfeeding Help

Great suggestions.

I'd also agree about the possiblity of the growth spurt. Aidan was very much like you describe Adele to be. I used to call him my little bird, because he'd just have a little snack and then be off to sleep. For him, no undressing, cheek stroking or anything seemed to have a permanent effect. It was just how he was. It does get better.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Ok, another question - at this age how long should she be eating? I can't tell when my milk is gone/low so I can't tell when she's eating and when she's just pacifing??? :huh:
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

:huh: I'm new to this, too, but I think it just seems like they eat constantly. If I remember right, Cora was still eating for like 40 minutes or more every 2-3 hours? I don't remember the numbers exactly and I think it varies a lot from baby to baby and from day to day.

What I do remember is that at Christmas (which is when Cora was 6.5 weeks), my one SIL e-mailed my other SIL to say that our baby seemed to be nursing all the time, and could they talk to us? When SIL #2 told my this later I was like "Talk to us about what?" She didn't know, SIL #1 just felt that we seemed to be struggling because the baby ate so much of the time. *sigh* She honestly means well. Thankfully, SIL #2 wrote back that breastfed babies eat more frequently because breastmilk is digested more easily and that's normal etc. and that was the end of it. (Actually what I was struggling with was nursing in front of other people, but that's another post.) Anyway, I think if it seems like you're nursing too much, then that's probably the right amount.

As for whether she's just pacifying--my philosophy is to not think about how much she should be getting or how long she should be nursing, but just look at whether she seems like a well-fed baby. If I unlatch her does she fuss and root? Is she showing signs of dehydration? Is she sticking to her growth curve? The couple of times I felt she was overeating, she would spit up a lot--like instead of her usual teaspoon or tablespoon, it would be like a quarter cup burbling up from the depths. Otherwise I trust that the amount she's getting is the right amount and the time it takes her to get it out if there is just the best she can do.

If I feel like she's just dawdling and chilling out at the breast (like I don't hear any swallowing sounds and she looks sated), I try unlatching her and see what happens. Sometimes I try having her suck on my finger (she's always refused a plastic pacifier) and see if she has that pissed-off "theres no milk coming out of this thing!" reaction. If she really wants back on, though, i pretty much put her back on and thank god for TiVO.

(geez what a ramble )
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Pretty much what she said. Daegan's jaw looks different when he's nursing and when he's pacifying. Depends on my mood how long I let him pacify. It took some learning though for me to figure out the difference...there are some videos online, but it still took a while for me to figure out him (couple of months...maybe I'm just a slow learner though I think it was more paranoia about him getting enough and gaining). When he pacifies, he just moves his jaws straight up and down....there is no toward-the-back-of-the-head movement that accompanies actual sucking.

At night I'm way less coherent to try to see what he's doing and sometimes I can't tell by feel....so I do the whole pop-him-off-and-see-if-he-fusses.

Some babies have a higher need for non-nutritive sucking than others....

As for how to tell when your milk is low, I had trouble with that at first....I felt so engorged all the time....I block nursed him (~4 hours on one side before switching to the next) and I would feel them both often...eventually I could notice subtle changes between the two to indicate that he had fed. If when you were pumping you produced a fairly even amount in each breast, you could test pump after nursing to judge the difference.....though I'd probably do that before her best nap or early in the am so that you have enough milk made back up when she's ready to nurse again (or bottle feed her the expressed milk).

Daegan didn't eat like the other kids I know, so I think he was abnormal in his 10 min nursing sessions....
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I can't remember the timing on this, but after a growth spurt, and the intense "sucking", the feedings *can* get shorter because you'll be able to squirt more milk out more quickly. Newborn feedings took forever. I clocked in at over 8 hours of NURSING for the first 6 weeks or so with the twins-- and I nursed at the same time. That's a full time job of just nursing, not to mention the time of burping, etc., etc. After 6 weeks, it seems to me that the feedings got a little shorter (like 10 minutes tops) and a little more spread out.

The thing about newborns is that they blaze through phases quickly, and when you think you get it figured out, and we're all on some sort of pattern, another growth spurt hits, or something... It can be frustrating, to say the least! Hang in there!

Now a side note of definite TMI- so please do not read unless you are unnaturally interested in breasfeeding...

I used to nurse the twins on the same side-- each one had a breast. And Steven was quite the little sucker, apparently. When Luke came around and I tried to feed him on "Steven's breast" Luke would cry and cry... The milk came out tooooo fast. It took him until he was about 2 months old to be able to eat on that side, and even then it was like a frantic race! Poor guy. This doesn't apply to your situation, of course, but I just thought it was interesting. :huh: And gross, of course.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Thanks ladies, those experiences are all helpful.

Peggy, we have had the situation where we thought she was choking one night, I can see how that would happen with twins.

Thanks again!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Peggy - kudos to you for nursing twins! I know how overwhelming nursing one can be ... I cannot imagine two at one time!

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
                The thing about newborns is that they blaze through phases quickly, and when you think you get it figured out, and we're all on some sort of pattern, another growth spurt hits, or something... It can be frustrating, to say the least! Hang in there!
                Sooooooooo incredibly true. You think you've got something all figured out, and they're off to something new!

Comment

Two at a time--- it's called double football hold! It's not as bad as it sounds- just no chance for "discreet nursing!"

Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

My Arden did this as well. Ahh...the trials and tribulations of breast feeding. As someone told my husband once regarding me and the nursing of my son...I was his "human pacifier". I didn't mind, as I had nothing else to do. But others I am sure wouldn't like having their child attached to their breast every minute of the day.

I wish I had some good advice (though it looks like many people have given some). I used to have the problem that he would want to feed every 30 minutes! and then fall asleep! It DOES get SO SO SO much better I PROMISE. Arden is 9 months old now, and he is what I call a super nurser. He nurses fast and efficiently and he means business when he nurses. He will get in and out in 5 minutes and not need to nurse again for a least....2 to 4 hours.

Good luck to you on your nursing journey. My advice is to hang in there no matter how horrible it may get or seems to be. Once you get past the 3-4 month mark, it actually isn't so bad (aside from the baby getting too distracted to nurse OR not being able to nurse in public...etc.)

And one more piece of news for you...it may seem that you will never ever get to sleep again because your Adele wakes up every few hours to nurse at night...that TOO gets better. (speaking from my experience anyhow). Arden is literally almost exclusively nursing at 9 months, and is actually sleeping from 8pm-4am. So, there is hope.

Amy

Comment

Working...
                    X