Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Nursing in public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nursing in public

I don't want to start a debate here, but I'm discovering that with a newborn and a toddler I pretty much have to NIP at some point. I'm fine with it, I have no qualms about doing it at all ... but I hate how *other* people make me feel about it.

I was at a birthday party over the weekend (DH was working, of course ... so I had the two kids there with me by myself). Well, the baby got hungry and Jack was running around playing so it's not like I could excuse myself and go somewhere private to nurse the baby, so I just covered up with a blanket and let him eat. I was discreet about it, my friend told me that she couldn't even tell that I had the baby under the blanket. But there were a couple of people (one was a young mom, even!) who I felt like were staring at me and giving me weird looks.

Honestly ... if I don't feel uncomfortable about nursing my child in public, why should you? :huh:
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Re: Nursing in public

Just do it and ignore the people who give you looks. It's their issue - you're perfectly fine.

Comment

It's their problem not yours. I have and will NIP anytime my baby needs to eat. I am always discreet, and the new faux maternity type shirts that are so popular now make it easy to keep everything covered even without a blanket.

I have seen my share of eyerolls, but the only time I had someone say something negative was another mother with her approx 5 year old girl on a plane I was sitting in the window seat, my body turned towards the side of the plane and using a blanket. There was no way anyone could have seen a thing. She said she "shouldn't have to explain to her daughter what that lady was doing". I said "yes, God forbid you teach your kids that boobs can be used for something besides selling beer".
      Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Great response Rebecca!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm thinking people looking at you, weird or otherwise, in public, is something you're just going to have to ignore/not let bother you, because it's *going* to happen (even if you weren't BF, if you're looking for it, you'll see it). If they don't say anything rude, there's really no point in letting it upset you. Just be confident that you're doing the right thing, and doing the best you can to not bother others, and you'll be fine. And keep Rebecca's comeback in mind, just in case.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Malpka
            I said "yes, God forbid you teach your kids that boobs can be used for something besides selling beer".
            OMG...That...is fabulous!

I agree with everyone else, Jane. It's their problem not yours.

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I've never had anyone say anything to me....sometimes I wish they would because I sooo want to have a snappy comment. But I guess I'm oblivious to the stares....I'm also not very discreet. I try to be, but Daegan likes to play with my shirt so he usually ends up exposing most of my breast. Ah well.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I've had to nurse at a truck stop. How's that for everyone feeling weird? My worst experience was in Philadelphia. I was eating lunch with a relocation agent (DH was interviewing at CHoP) at a small, neighborhood restaurant. I had to NIP and there was a crotchety old lady who was very vocal about her displeasure about it and just kept saying mean things, e.g. "It's unnatural, It's disgusting, blah blah blah". I didn't want to live in Philly after that. Later, DH & I went to a restaurant that had a sign "Breastfeeding welcome" on the door. It's sad when a sign is needed for bf'ing to be accepted. Honestly, I really don't see why people can't accept it.

Comment

I just do it and if someone doesnt like it, they will likely get an earful from me, although I doubt as eloquently as Malpka.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I have to say this has been probably my biggest bugbear of new parenthood! Apparently a few decades of not exposing my nipples to daylight in front of strangers is pretty strong conditioning. If/when someone actually says something to me I'll probably be mortified. But whaddya gonna do? Quit? Never take the kid out? :huh: Whatever. I try to be polite and not make others uncomfortable in public etc., but if they're made uncomfortable by something as simple and necessary as feeding the baby? Sorry, can't help 'em, they're just going to have to get over it. Hopefully silently.
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by melfitz
                      I had to NIP and there was a crotchety old lady who was very vocal about her displeasure about it and just kept saying mean things, e.g. "It's unnatural, It's disgusting, blah blah blah".
                      Cue Rebecca's response. Good grief! I think you have to be borderline retarded to think breastfeeding is "unnatural". Seriously. And, even that is offensive to borderline retarded persons since I will bet the vast majority of them also see that breastfeeding is quite 'natural'. That woman had some serious issues.

I just got back from a series of plane trips (four total). I breastfed Charlotte on every flight and in every airport. No dirty looks. I am discreet (I've had a lot of practice ) but I know that people can tell I'm breastfeeding. Occasionally I have someone look at me and I always make it a point to return the stare (it immediately stops the staring - especially if I smile at them when I return the stare).

I agree that this is about the insecurities and sexual confusion of others. I think a mother breastfeeding her baby is a sweet scene and I wish we saw more of that behavior in public! At a restaurant a couple of years ago I walked into the restroom to find a young mother nursing her child. Personally, I was a bit yucked out that she was doing it in the bathroom (I mean, how unsanitary can you get?) but she told me she felt she *had* to. I told her that I thought she was doing a great job of being discrete in the restroom and that if she was that good at it in private that she could totally do it in public - and that I wish she would! I felt so bad for her - that she felt she had to hide away in one of the dirtiest places you can find (ie public restrooms) to do something so necessary and so good for her own child. That's just wrong.

Anyway, I'm not flashing my breasts at people in public - I think there is a happy medium. But, people who overreact based on their own issues (mostly related to sexuality I think) make me .
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
                        I don't want to start a debate here, but I'm discovering that with a newborn and a toddler I pretty much have to NIP at some point. I'm fine with it, I have no qualms about doing it at all ... but I hate how *other* people make me feel about it.

I was at a birthday party over the weekend (DH was working, of course ... so I had the two kids there with me by myself). Well, the baby got hungry and Jack was running around playing so it's not like I could excuse myself and go somewhere private to nurse the baby, so I just covered up with a blanket and let him eat. I was discreet about it, my friend told me that she couldn't even tell that I had the baby under the blanket. But there were a couple of people (one was a young mom, even!) who I felt like were staring at me and giving me weird looks.

Honestly ... if I don't feel uncomfortable about nursing my child in public, why should you? :huh:
                        It could be that the young mom was just seeing how to do it!

Hang in there- I had to nurse in line to go up the empire state building... I wasn't giving up my place in line, so I sat down on the floor and nursed-- this when I was 19 and already receiving the "teenage mom" nasty looks. I guess I don't even notice now... :huh:
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

We haven't done it much b/c I'm not comfortable with it. Not the exposure of it but me holding her, etc. So we've been practicing at home this week b/c we're leaving for CA Thursday. I realized we got a middle and aisle seat on our flight so hopefully the window person isn't disgusted or rude. :huh:
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Suzy, I've found that if I tell the person with the window seat that I intend to breastfeed the baby on the flight they will generally switch with my husband and I so that he can be in the middle to 'hide' any flashing and I can be up against the window where it is more private. I have yet to have a man or woman refuse this request when I politely explain ('warn'?) them of my intent to breastfeed the baby. I think most people understand that if the baby's mouth is full he/she can't cry or scream on the flight and I think that makes people relieved (the idea that the baby won't be howling through the flight).

If you meet resistance from your seat-mate I suggest you express the above to an airline attendant on the flight when you board and he/she will most certainly find someone who will trade a window seat with you.

I have yet to have this NOT work (and, I've been on tons of flights now over the years with various babies of mine).
                            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                            With fingernails that shine like justice
                            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

The problem is DH is 6'4", he can't sit in a middle seat for a 4+ hour flight, we're hoping there are empty seats on board, we'll see.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X