Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Head Bangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Bangers

My 16 month old has begun banging his head against the nearest convenient hard surface whenever he's denied any desire. I've tried moving him to a carpeted room, but sometimes he just finds a wall or table. DW is concerned about subdural hematomas, of course.
    Any suggestions?
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Re: Head Bangers

Of course the neurologist's kid is a head-banger!!!

Is he hurting himself or is it behavioral (like mom freaks out and I get attention)

Jenn

Comment

It's attention-seeking, I'm sure, and after he gets the idea that he's not getting what he wants, nor attention, I guess the behavior will cease. But I'd also like to prevent any permanent damage before that point. :|
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Well, with all behavior change, it may get worse before it gets better. (and that's scary when you're talking about head-banging)

I guess just do the standard reinforce to the extreme the good behaviors and stand tough on the bad.

Yikes, parenting is definitely not for the weak of heart, is it?

Jenn

Comment

Anna was a head-banger for a while. I'm sure it is something that happens in degrees. She did stop and I don't think she did it that hard but her forehead did get red. I can't remember if anything I did stopped it.

Comment

Daegan does that often when I put him in time-out....and sometimes if he's mad b/c I denied him something, he'll hit himself in the head with his fist. For the head banging in time-out, I'll move him to the middle of the floor for time-out, of course then he bangs his head and legs on the carpet.

I was hoping there was going to be a cure-all in this thread!
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Quinn was a total head-banger. I tried really hard not to react to it except when it was clearly going to cause damage (a la the concrete floor in my friend's store). If I was nearby I'd try to slip a hand under his head (while continuing my conversation or whatever I was doing). He stopped ... but it was quite wearing for awhile.

On a humorous note, it always made dh and I think of that scene in Parenthood where the kid puts a bucket on his head and rams into things. We'd look at each other and say "We're so proud".

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                Quinn was a total head-banger.
                When I saw you posted to this, this is child I expected to read about.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                  When I saw you posted to this, this is child I expected to read about.
                  and I wasn't remotely surprised to see that Anna was yours! :P

Comment

So basically I'm hearing "wait it out."
                    He's so fair, that the big red mark on his forehead hardly goes away before the next time he bangs it.
                    Oh well.
                    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                    Let's go Mets!

Comment

Working...
                    X