Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

DD just swallowed a coin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD just swallowed a coin!

As if I don't have enought to worry about!

DS1 decided to remove the contents of his bank. I heard him yelling @ his little sisiter to "spit the money out!"
    When I went into the family room to investigate, I saw her frantically trying to get it out of her mouth,she couldn't because it was gone :thud: !

Uggh! So for all of you BTDT, I assume I need to go have her belly x-rayed , then dig through BMs until it shows up! :needabreak:

Re: DD just swallowed a coin!

I had a friend who swallowed a quarter in college during a drinking game and she was totally fine. It just came out the other end. For a baby though, they'll probably take more precautions like x-ray and then depending on where it is, let her pass it or induce vomiting if it seems worrisome (which it's 99% likely it won't). Depending on how relaxed your pediatrician is, they'll probably just let it pass.

SORRY! This probably wasn't in your schedule for today.....
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
      As if I don't have enought to worry about!

DS1 decided to remove the contents of his bank. I heard him yelling @ his little sisiter to "spit the money out!"
      When I went into the family room to investigate, I saw her frantically trying to get it out of her mouth,she couldn't because it was gone :thud: !

Uggh! So for all of you BTDT, I assume I need to go have her belly x-rayed , then dig through BMs until it shows up! :needabreak:
      Ah...what's it made of? Gold? I'd probably just let my DS poop it out. I'm not paying for an ER deductible for a penny! I mean, he's swallowed bigger stuff than that before and not died...

Says BAD MOM of the year!!

(As an aside, my idiot DH--future neurosurgeon--inhaled a STRAIGHT PIN into his lung when he was messing around with a blow dart as a kid. It's still there...

Comment

You do need a break. I'd call the pediatrician and see what they have to say.

At least she didn't choke!

Comment

We only worry about multiple pennies if minted after 1982 b/c of their zinc content.....I'd call the ped but not freak out.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I fed my brother a bunch of coins (and gravel for that matter) when he was 2 and I was 4. No medical appointments were made as I recall. I got in a lot of trouble though. I guess they either came out the other end or they're still in there somewhere!

Jenn

Comment

Jacob did that once. I called the ped and they said they don't really do anything for coins. Batteries are another issue (hadn't even thought of that).

Comment

DH says if she isn't in pain, she's probably okay. There was a paper just published that basically says, if you give her white bread, it will help push it into her stomach if it's not already there. If she can't tolerate white bread, time to go in to the ED. So, if it were my DD, I'd be scrambling to find some Wonderbread!
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

DH said he'd take her into his officE (he'll have her x-rayed there).
                  When I ask her: "Where is the coin?" she answers in a proud voice w/ a grin " In my tummy"

Comment

Ds did this. We took him for an xray because we didn't know if he really had swallowed the coin. He told us he was playing puppets with coins while lying in bed and one fell down his throat. :huh:

Sure enough...picture perfect little circle in his tummy. To this day he is proud of the xray.

Comment

Working...
                    X