Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

how did you find your babysitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did you find your babysitter?

I've been spoiled by having my mom close to us for the past year, so I haven't had to pick a babysitter. We're moving out of state next month, and I'm sure I'll need to have someone available to help every once in a while.

Where did you find your babysitter? Did you do any screening?

Re: how did you find your babysitter?

There is a similar thread started by spotty_dog (not sure if you saw that one).

I have found sitters through friends and in most cases they found them on Craig's List. I'm a little leery of trying that myself but I have to say these are the best babysitters I have found. Better than sitter's from the childcare at the gym or through a sitter/nanny agency. They did check references, did interviews, stayed home with the sitter, etc.

I know that is hard with moving, to wait until you get to know people. Our first sitter was also our neighbor's nanny. I was able to watch her interact with my neighbor's son when he played outside and also hear conversations that wafted over the fence. I would describe him as spirited squared so her ability to work so well with him made me feel very comfortable.

In college, I was a caregiver at a MOPS meeting. If you are interested, you could sign up for that and use it as a resource. I found the MOPS job by way of my roommate who was in a sorority (one of the MOPS moms put up a flier at the sorority).

A friend here found an education major through one of the local colleges. I think the financial aid office has an online job board or something like that.

My best advice though would be to ask Charlene! (you are moving to NM, right?)

Good luck! It can be hard to find someone but so worth it once you do.

Comment

OK, this is kind of a funny story:

So there was this really outgoing, sweet, attractive, VERY intelligent and hard-working third-year MS rotating through the NSG service. She and DH hit it off--DH loves to teach and mentor, but rarely likes or respects the (lazy!!!) med students here (very privileged, high-ranked school and the kids have ATTITUDE). She was fantastic and dedicated to learning. He mentioned her several times and how responsible she was. So, on the last day of her rotation, she stopped DH in front of a couple of other residents, scribbled down her number on a piece of paper, and said, "Hey, here's my number. Promise you'll call me sometime! I'd just love to come over!" DH was almost speechless (bear in mind, the guys don't usually wear their wedding bands) and sort of stammered, "Uh, wha...?? Ummm...???" (To truly appreciate this, you have to understand what my DH looks like--very professorial and bookish--and how he acts--pretty much the same. Never been a "chick magnet" and doesn't have a lot of experience with getting "picked up.") Anyhow, when he didn't automatically seem to understand, she said, "You said you were looking for a sitter, right? I'd just love to do it! I love kids!" Embarrassed at his presumption and recovering what was left of his ego, DH tried to be smooth and said, "Oh, yeah! Ok! Right! Will do!" The other residents were about ready to pee themselves laughing at him.

Apparently, in the hazy hours of some overnight call shift weeks before, he'd mentioned to her in passing how much we needed a good sitter, and she mentioned that she'd love to do it...and he'd promptly forgotten the offer.

She is FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, she matched in Ob/Gyn and moves away in June. But her sister is a nursing student here and came over to help sit last week...so it looks like we've got a replacement.

Comment

There is a similar thread started by spotty_dog (not sure if you saw that one).
        Thanks! I'm new. I'll look for that thread.

Comment

Here you go:
          viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18480

Comment

I always found my sitters at church. I have now entered the post-sitter era, but it is not as awesome as I thought it would be. Somehow my 13 year old son doesn't leave the kitchen (or the rest of the house, for that matter) quite as clean and tidy as my 16 year old (former) sitter did. :huh: Who knew?
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks for the link. And sorry for the duplicate post!

Comment

Don't worry about it- there are about 25 versions of 1) when should we get married 2) when is the best time to have a baby 3) breast-feeding vs. bottle feeding, etc.

and lest we forget, 90% of the posts are "my spouse is an arse".

Jenn

Comment

90% of the posts are "my spouse is an arse".
                  OMG, peeing my pants!

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

90% of the posts are "my spouse is an arse".
                    Hehe! I would have posted one on this topic, except for the dire warning on the welcome page that their colleagues' wives might be lurking here!

(In case they really are lurking, 90% of the time's a real sweetie. )

Comment

In case they really are lurking, 90% of the time's a real sweetie. )
                      Yeah, but for me it's that 10% that's a real b****.

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I found mine by whinging on a thread on another site about how hard it was to find one, and a lady pm'd me and said she knew someone want to look after children and when I said it was only for a couple of days a week, she offered herself and she is AMAZING!!!! or I should say was as now I'm mostly a SAHM and we're moving away

Comment

Working...
                        X