Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

10 1/2 month old baby still not eating solids!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 1/2 month old baby still not eating solids!!!!

Well, I need some advice. I could really use anyone's input who may have experienced this. My son is still almost exclusively breast feeding at 10 1/2 months old! When he was 5 months old, I tried rice cereal with him, but he never really ate it (maybe 2 servings total). He developed a little rash around his mouth, so I worried he had allergies. Therefore, I stopped trying the cereal and waited until he was 6 months old to try fruit and veggie purees. Well, by 6 months old, he discovered the use of his hands, and whenever I tried to feed him with a spoon, he would rip it out of my hands. I kept trying and trying and trying...with it came him becoming completely adverse to eating with a spoon. I tried letting him play with his food, feed himself, making up games and noises, and faces, and all sorts of fun things to TRY to get him to eat. He may have eaten a couple bites here and there, but nothing like other babies do. (Note: I have also tried every flavor of baby food from the store AND I tried making him all sorts of purees by hand). So, I move on to the next step...finger foods. I figure, he is just a "big boy" and doesn't want to be fed. Well, for a while he would at least eat Cheerios, some bagels, and other crunchy or cracker like foods (like Gerber toddler finger foods). However, he still isn't eating more than a bite or two at each meal!! Don't get me wrong, he isn't by any means a small baby (33 inches tall and about 24 pounds), and he is developing at a perfectly normal rate. Also, I understand that I shouldn't worry because babies are okay with breast milk and formula until they are a year old...and I am OK with nursing him. I guess my problem is that I don't ever see him being weened!! I will never be able to stop nursing him if he won't eat enough to survive and thrive! His pediatrician didn't seem concerned, but I am still worried that he will be 2 years old and still nursing and not eating foods, and then the baby who is currently very healthy and large will start losing weight and becoming anemic or something. (The pediatrician did say he should take vitamins, but how am I supposed to give him vitamins when he won't even drink juice!! Have you ever SMELLED those liquid vitamins? You couldn't get me to take them thats for sure!) Any advice would be just great!!

Re: 10 1/2 month old baby still not eating solids!!!!

Above all, don't worry! As long as he's getting nutritious mommy milk, (and it should be at *least* 75% of his calories right through age one), his nutritional bases are covered. Before one, solids are about experimentation. Give him a variety of tastes and textures, and have fun with it.

At some point between 12 and 14 months, something clicked for Eddy. He went from a spat of nursing like a newborn, every hour or something and driving me INSANE, to suddenly eating decent meals! He's still not a consistent eater, but he's getting there. From everything I've seen I am very confident that there will be another "click" before age two.

Oh, and as for the vitamins -- you might try it and see what your guy thinks! Eddy actually *likes* that nasty stuff.
    Alison

Comment

While you are making dinner or puttering around the kitchen, put him in a high chair or exersaucer and scatter a small variety of finger foods around like mushy peas, carrots, cheerios, etc. Try this several times a day for 15-20 minutes at least-my girls were content for up to an hour sometimes. Let him explore eating and trying new foods on his own. Give it a few days or weeks of this.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland
        While you are making dinner or puttering around the kitchen, put him in a high chair or exersaucer and scatter a small variety of finger foods around like mushy peas, carrots, cheerios, etc. Try this several times a day for 15-20 minutes at least-my girls were content for up to an hour sometimes. Let him explore eating and trying new foods on his own. Give it a few days or weeks of this.
        I agree with this. Let him make a mess and give it no pressure. Here's the food! He'll get it. Don't worry!
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Daegan didn't eat any appreciable solids until over a year old.....and I think I posted about it then, too! He still only occasionally eats well at home (he'll be 2 in August), but he eats like crazy at daycare! I wouldn't worry....just let him explore food on his own. He'll get it when he's ready.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My husband's mantra has always been that kids won't let themselves starve OR overeat when given the freedom to choose.

Keep offering options and he'll figure it out.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
            X