Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Babies in the sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies in the sun

Am I missing something? What is the safest and least stressful way to have little babies (under 6 months) outside with their big siblings? Today: Big sis, the 5yo, is ahead of us riding her bicycle, middle sis, the 2yo, is in the umbrella stroller (and not too happy about it), and I had baby bro in the carrier. The carrier wasn't working out too well because I was using the Bjorn Sport because of the heat but it doesn't support his head well so I had to sort of hold his head up while pushing the stroller with one hand. Also, it was actually cool enough today to have him in a long sleeved jammie type suit that completely covered him but our days of nice weather are numbered.

What am I missing? I'm sure one of you can think of an easy way to accomplish this.

Re: Babies in the sun

I have lucked out with timing on both of my kids (I think DD started wearing sunscreen when she was 5 months old, though). We are huge into hats in our house. Old Navy and Gap usually have them with straps, and I have seen them at Target with the UV protection built in. I try as much as possible not to put suncreen on DS (he's only 6 1/2 months and has really sensitive skin. I typically have him in his stroller under the canopy. Also, I do put him in pants and long sleeves whenever possible, but he's old enough to regulate his own body temp. I don't have any brilliant suggestions. Good luck!
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Hmmmmm... If it were me, I'd let the 5 yo ride the bike in the neighborhood where you could watch her, but not have to walk behind. Or else I'd just drive to a park type area where the 5 yo and the 2 yo can play, but you don't have to mess with strollers, bikes, or baby carriers... Then you and the baby can stay in the shade, and if needed you can all load up in the car and get home in a hurry.

Maybe when your husband comes home at night he can spend a half hour or something riding bikes with the 5 yo so that she still gets to take a ride?

By the way, have you ever posted about your husband's return? I'd love to hear the story if you'd like to share it! And if I missed it just please someone point me in the right direction??
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I've lucked out on the age thing as well with having winter babies. I like Peggy's suggestion. That or you could try to be out earlier in the day or later in the afternoon and miss the mid-day heat and sun.

Comment

I think Lands End makes tiny dude board shirts that have SPF 50 right in the fabric. I picked up Target's version for my bigger dude and I have to say, they're fabulous- he has not had one tiny bit of redness, the shirts are easy to clean and they dry quickly.

Jenn

Comment

We're in Texas. You'd have to be a hermit to avoid the sun here. We used Avon Skin So Soft sun screen with bug guard on Kenny last summer when he was an infant.
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Hmmm.... can you get a double stroller with an umbrella? Or maybe the 2 year old would be interested in pushing the stroller with you with the baby in it? I think a double stroller would be my first line of defense and then lots of umbrellas and hats. I'll have to think some more on this one...

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl
                We're in Texas. You'd have to be a hermit to avoid the sun here. We used Avon Skin So Soft sun screen with bug guard on Kenny last summer when he was an infant.
                Oh, man...we bought that stuff by the tonnage, I swear...

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                  Originally posted by v-girl
                  Oh, man...we bought that stuff by the tonnage, I swear...
                  We keep 3-4 different kinds around our house -- one or two with sunscreen, the rest without.
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I have stocked up on lightweight but long sleeved shirts/onesies and pants to put on Jack if he is in a sling. No sunscreen yet, but he seems to have been fine. He has a hat on all the time he is outside.
                    If it is really hot I have him in the stroller as it has a good shade on.
                    We have a big umbrella for the park or beach.

Comment

Working...
                    X