Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Eardrum ruptured!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eardrum ruptured!!!!

Yep when it rains it pours! My littlest, who is 15 months old, awoke last night in hysterics!
    All of the kids came down ill, 2 days after the I busted my foot.
    3 out of 4 handled it pretty well this time (thank god ) .
    DS2 didn't bode so well...we went to the peds today only to be told that his eardrum had ruptured
    Last Feb when he was in for a well-baby check up, I was informed that he had dual ear infections!!!
    This was a complete shock, because he never fussed or whined!. He had a bad cold like the others had, but never once gave any clues he had ear infections!
    The Dr. said some kids are less sensitive to it...so it was no wonder he was freaking out...poor little man he's a wreck: he's cutting molars, has a ruptured eardrum, mega congestion & snotty nose!
    He wants to nurse for comfort, but it's such a hardship for him !
    He's on amoxicillan, we go back in 10 days so she can check on how it's healing.
    Apparently, according to my ped, she says that they actually allow for it to rupture in England

Re: Eardrum ruptured!!!!

Oh no!! I can't believe you have to deal with all of that on top of your broken foot. :thud:
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

We acutually rupture them in some dogs....to allow for drainage from the middle ear....

Sorry about everything though!
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Oh, Suz!! I'm so sorry! You have so much going on health-wise in your house. I hope your little one makes a speedy recovery!

Comment

Poor guy!

I hope you have a relatively peaceful day today!

Comment

:thud:

poor baby L. poor suz. i'm so sorry. you're all in my thoughts and prayers.
            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Oh no, I hope you and he are recovering well.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

So hard!!!! I hope everyone mends quickly.

Comment

i wanted to add...when dh was little, when he and his 'mother' and father still lived in belgium, he can very clearly remember the horrific ear infections/pain he had as a kid. over there, they're not so quick to give antibiotics for ears. he also remembers being straped down to a table (more than once!) while a doc stuck a needle in his ears and drained them. he has some hearing loss now...i wonder if that is what it's from? :huh:

feel better, baby L!
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

This reminds me of that wonderful Mother Theresa quote. (paraphrased) "God never gives me more than I can handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much".

Yikes. Get well soon!

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Oh no, you already have so much going on! Poor little guy, I hope the antibiotics start giving him some relief soon!
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
                        i wanted to add...when dh was little, when he and his 'mother' and father still lived in belgium, he can very clearly remember the horrific ear infections/pain he had as a kid. over there, they're not so quick to give antibiotics for ears. he also remembers being straped down to a table (more than once!) while a doc stuck a needle in his ears and drained them. he has some hearing loss now...i wonder if that is what it's from? :huh:

feel better, baby L!
                        Seriously. I know that many docs here are slow to give antibiotics for ears, and when they do, it's typically amoxicillan. This is one area where I play the "doctor's wife" card. My son is profoundly deaf in on of his ears, and I wasn't playing around with losing any more hearing. I did have an ENT tell me that with Ryan, if any doc tried to give me amoxicillan, I should just ask for something else because he needed to start with a "bazooka."

Feel better Suz and family!
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We don't subscribe to the "let them rupture" philosophy either. Steven's had so many ear infections that if he even gets a little one he's going to rupture if it's not treated ASAP. And no parent likes to see blood dripping out of their child's ears. So the last time it happened, the doc (not our regular one) suggested we just wait it out and let it rupture, but not treat it yet b/c it "wasn't too bad" and "ruptured eardrums don't do much damage." They don't my ass. I told him I'd just have my DH write for augmenten if he wouldn't do it. He wrote for it.

Anyway...

Sorry for the hijack. I hope you all are on the mend quickly! At least Amoxicillin seems to be really delicious to babies! :huh:
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Poor little man! I hope it is not the start of another sickness season already

Kid ear issues are awful, I can still remember the pain of mine, and that was in England so I dread to think what they did to me

Comment

:therethere:
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X