Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Itzbeen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itzbeen

This was in one of my magazines today and I have to say I think it would be brilliant with a newborn. With a push of a button it keeps track of last feeding, diaper change, etc.

ITZBEEN

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Re: Itzbeen

I can't say I would have found that helpful at all when caring for a small baby. I tend to feed them when they're hungry, change them when they're wet or dirty, and help them sleep when they're tired. I don't think the machine would tell me anything the baby couldn't, and I've got other places to put $40. But it's fascinating how many new products are being marketed to parents nowadays! The up and coming demographic, I guess.
    Alison

Comment

I think I would use (depending on how easy it is to use) for the first 6 weeks or so. Maybe it would have gotten me past that deer in the headlights look when the pediatrician asks how many feedings and wet diapers were going on. I know I fed her and I know I changed her and that is all I know...

Comment

That was my thought, too, Nellie...except that it doesn't seem to keep any history, so all you know is how long it's been since the most recent one. Would be a *lot* more useful if they had a memory card in there, or even just a "history" mode. :huh:
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Nevermind then! That means its memory is as good as a new parents memory. I figured it was something with a memory and even software to download to a computer a la a Nike+.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
            Maybe it would have gotten me past that deer in the headlights look when the pediatrician asks how many feedings and wet diapers were going on.
            I remember that feeling! "Um...a lot?"
            Alison

Comment

I was intrigued by the Trixie Tracker, though I didn't end up using it.

http://www.trixietracker.com/about/
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I think for fussy babies it would have been helpful. Adele is one of those "I only fuss when I'm hungry, tired or need changed babies" a glance at that might help me know which I did last, etc. But I agree, the history would be nice. I log Adele's sleeping, eating and diapers and often look back to find out what she ate the night before, etc.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

This would have TOTALLY been helpful to me. ABSOLUTELY. (especially on baby #1 and #2)

#1 I was shellshocked and knee deep in a surgical residency

#2 I was already raising a toddler who was just shy of her 2nd birthday -- adding an infant killed my short term memory.

Now on baby #3 I have my systems down but every baby is different.

DH has asked me "when did you last feed him and how much?" I give him a uhhhhhhhhh :huh: . I have to really think about it.

I believe in schedules -- NOT feeding baby 30 minutes before he needs it is important to me.
                  Pick another reason why he's fussy -- um his diaper or he's in an uncomfortable position?
                  Baby telling me he's upset can mean a number of things.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by poky
                    That was my thought, too, Nellie...except that it doesn't seem to keep any history, so all you know is how long it's been since the most recent one. Would be a *lot* more useful if they had a memory card in there, or even just a "history" mode. :huh:
                    I agree with this.
                    You can see how far you have come.
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

This would be a great gift for a second or third baby. I often am in the mode of trying to remember who I fed/changed when. It's better now that DD is out of diapers and DS is a bit older, but when he was first born, the kid often got feeding delays.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I used an Excel spreadsheet to keep track with DS.....much cheaper than $40!

I never go by the clock with DD. I just feed her when she's hungry, change her when she's wet/dirty and let her sleep when she's tired. It's pretty easy to decipher her different cries and figure out what will make her happy. Now, trying to figure out what will make my 3yo happy is a different story......

Comment

When Daegan came home from the NICU, he slept a lot and didn't fuss to eat really....it would've been helpful for me in the beginning b/c I wasn't supposed to let him go more than 3 hours without eating and he would sleep through it if I didn't try to get him up. With everything else a new mom has to think about, I had trouble remembering when he was last fed. When he outgrew that (about 4-5 months) I just fed when hungry/changed when needed etc.
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                            Originally posted by spotty_dog
                            I can't say I would have found that helpful at all when caring for a small baby. I tend to feed them when they're hungry, change them when they're wet or dirty, and help them sleep when they're tired. I don't think the machine would tell me anything the baby couldn't, and I've got other places to put $40. But it's fascinating how many new products are being marketed to parents nowadays! The up and coming demographic, I guess.

This is me. I never counted or kept track of feedings and all the kiddos seem to be just fine. :huh: Our doc never asked how many diapers/feedings, he would just ask if they are eating well and my response would be along the lines of, "every waking hour".
                            This is so me.

Comment

I'd buy it, use it for a week and then let it sit in the closet for a year thinking I should be using that thing. I never stick to stuff like that. Maybe if I did I would be more organized and less overwhelmed.
                              Needs

Comment

Working...
                              X