Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dog bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog bowl

Yes, I'm putting this in the parenting section!

What do you do with your dog's water bowl to keep your army crawling toddler out of it? There isn't anywhere in the kitchen I can put it where Adele won't get to it and the rest of our upstairs is carpeted which I won't move it to because Molly isn't the cleanest drinker. Just in the last day I've had to pick Adele up from it at least 3 times. So far just her sleeve has gotten wet but I'm just waiting for her to try to drink it or spill the whole thing.

:huh:
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Re: Dog bowl

I don't have any advice, just that my kids do this too. Our dog bowl is on the porch, and whenever we go outside to play, I have to move it out of reach. I don't know why they love playing in the bowl, it's so gross.

Comment

They love to play in the toilet too (when my DH forgets to put the safety lock back on it and close the bathroom door when he's done).

Comment

Ours is now in the laundry room, which is down a remote hallway. DS has still managed to find it a couple of times, but for the most part, it works. Is there a spot on your landing where it might work without getting knocked into while people come and go (I know that sounds weird, but it's the only place I can imagine Adele wouldn't be)? Or get a cheapo larger entry rug from Walmart to put under the bowl if it's going to be on carpet. No other bright ideas...
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Dog bowls are outside, Mieke goes out frequently and there is a smaller bowl behind the one baby gate in our house.
          Alison

Comment

J and A learned to leave the water bowl alone after a few good no's. Water bowl remains on the floor in the kitchen. We feed Seiku in the garage so his food bowl is in there. We have lots of plants and trinkets out in the open and both the kids learned early on and quickly to leave them alone. A was 10 times more curious than J (we didn't have any of the baby safety gadgets with him) and even she learned quickly. My kids were late crawlers tho so maybe they could comprehend better than the typical 6 month crawler. Both crawled around 8 months and then J walked at 10 months and A walked at 9 months. I am sure my kids are freaks. It is always such a PITA when other youngins come over and can't help but to want to touch AND their parents do nothing about it.

Comment

Redirect over and over and it will start to sink in. Is it by a drawer of tupperware or something that she could play in? I found that helps but doesn't take care of it entirely. The other day Evie got a sippy cup from the kid dishes and tried to fill it in the dog bowl. aranoid:

I've also put the water dish up for a while and put it back down while kids are napping. In a few weeks she might find something new to play with and you can leave it down. But water is a lot of fun!

Comment

Thanks guys, unfortunately the landing isn't an option b/c there is now a baby gate at the top of the stairs that is always closed. We'll try the redirecting, the food bowl I can move after M is done b/c we only feed her twice/day.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

DS#1 was obsessed with water (he still is actually ... just a few weeks ago I caught him playing in the toilet when DH forgot to put the lid down and engage the lock ... ew). Anyway, I had to eventually just pick up the bowl and put it out of his reach. Maggie would let me know when she was thirsty and wanted some water (she'd paw at the receptacle thing that her water bowl sits in). I'd put her bowl down long enough that she could get a drink, and then put it right back up.
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

One really good soaking and me not immediately drying him off seemed to do the trick.

He was maaaaaadddd.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                    X