Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

stomach virus and a 3-week infant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stomach virus and a 3-week infant

DH spent the night puking last night (big difference from residency: he's staying home today! ). DS had it a couple days ago.

Rebekah is only 3 weeks old, barely past the stage where she's regaining the weight she lost after delivery. Would you be worried about her getting sick? It lasted 2-3 days with DS. I don't know what to do if Rebekah starts puking, too.

Re: stomach virus and a 3-week infant

I'd be worried. :huh: I'm not sure that's valid. I think she probably still has some immunity through breast feeding...so if you don't get it, she might not either. That said, I'd still keep her away from the puke fest and do lots of careful germ control.

I'm sorry! Stomach flu is awful without kids. With kids, worse. With a newborn....unthinkable. Big, big hugs.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Call the pediatrician's office and see what they recommend.

That's what I would do- what they consider alarming, etc. I think puking at that tiny stage is a bad thing but 1) I'm not a pediatrician and 2) my kid was 13 months old when I got him and 3) he's never had a puking virus

Jenn

Comment

We had a puking flu when one of the kids was under 2 months. She didn't get it but I'd still be concerned and vigilant about hand-washing and keeping her away from everyone.

Comment

Breastfeeding is surprisingly protective against tummy bugs. We've had a couple of gastroenteritis episodes blow through here and DS is always the least affected of the family. I'd be worried, but I'd also hope for the best that she wouldn't get it at all! Jenn's suggestion of asking your ped in advance about what criteria to use for bringing her in is also great.
          Alison

Comment

I've been there...newborn w/ pukers around...hopefully you can keep her from getting it!

Originally posted by DCJenn
            ...3) he's never had a puking virus

Jenn
            You so know you shouldn't have typed that ...that is tempting fate

Comment

I figure that he crawled all over the Moscow airport floor, plus LAX and Dulles at various times. and he spent 13 months living with 50 other kids-

He's had some significant exposure to ick!

Jenn

Comment

Ugh!!
                When Jack was 2 weeks old DH's parents showed up to visit, and both came down with a horrible stomach virus within a few hours!!!! Then DH got it. A few days later I got it!! It was such an evil bug that my Dad got it over a week later when my parents arrived, even though we were long over it by then.

The baby was fine! He must have got immune from my breastmilk, and we were super careful with the usual washing the hands, etc, but it was pretty hard when it was me puking etc, as he was with me all the time!!
                I did call the ped at the time and she told me to just carry on but bring him in if he showed signs of sickness.

I hope Rebekah escapes it too!

Comment

Thanks! I know breastmilk is supposed to provide immunity, but I guess I didn't trust it completely. The twins caught colds at 2 months, but maybe that's different from a 3-week-old and a stomach bug. DD (the older one) and I haven't had any signs of illness yet, so I think I'll wait until mid-morning tomorrow before calling the ped. I hate calling with little questions, but I also don't want to be out of luck over the weekend.

I figure that he crawled all over the Moscow airport floor, plus LAX and Dulles at various times. and he spent 13 months living with 50 other kids-

He's had some significant exposure to ick!
                  Lucky you! My son has had all kinds of colds, and this is his second stomach virus. Apparently I need to take him to some major airports to build his immunity.

Comment

DS3 got chicken pox from his brothers at 8 weeks old, but didn't really get sick...just a few spots! *not enough to give him immunity, but just enough to prevent him from getting a vaccination* anyway we saw our ped and she said that it is incredibly rare for a newborn to get GI illnesses......so maybe............she'll be safe :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by sarahB
                      we saw our ped and she said that it is incredibly rare for a newborn to get GI illnesses......so maybe............she'll be safe :huh:
                      Thanks. I sure hope so.

We're in a lull right now where no one in our household is sick. An OB resident's wife here said that when it went through her family, they had a lull before the next set of people got it. So DD1 and I may get it tomorrow. DD2 seems a little more fussy lately, but not sick.

Comment

Common cause of Stomach upset is Norovirus or rotavoirus It spread quickly doesn't caused by bacteria. Vomiting and diarrhea makes the stomach worse. Stomach Viruses can be by illnesses and bacterial infection in food. Main Common causes odf a stomach bug in babies. I suggest to see this it would help https://reliefseeker.com/. They help and gives a healthy tips.

Comment

Working...
                        X