Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cloth diapering a toddler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth diapering a toddler?

So Daegan has outgrown the BumGenius! And of course, I had just bought more because I figured I'd have 2 in them!! The rise on them is too low, so the velcro/waist goes around his hips and then when he moves, he undoes the velcro....that and he's wetting through two of the Cotton Babies liners when he wets. He was doing well with the potty at the sitter's house, but he won't really go at home and I don't expect him to anytime soon with the new baby and all. I don't want to do disposables for the next 6-9 months (am I deluded in thinking that time frame?)....and I don't know what other options I should consider.

I know they make prefolds and covers in larger sizes....but Russ is so not going to go for that. He *might* do a fitted and a cover....though I know he'd really prefer an all-in-one type...my dryer and I would prefer a pocket. Any suggestions? Daegan weighs about 30 pounds and is about 36 inches tall. He seems still slightly on the smaller side to me, but the BG diapers definitely don't fit him anymore.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Re: Cloth diapering a toddler?

Eddy is about 28 pounds and 35 inches, and the BG 2.0 (with 2 year old velcro) are definitely a losing battle, and the 3.0 are a little bit borderline. They're the heart of our stash so I feel your pain!

For the peeing through thing, I find that the new CB inserts are more absorbent than the old ones. I also double up by adding a hemp booster at night.

As for the outgrowing thing, maybe look for snapping pockets? Any of the sized ones should fit him with a Large. Fuzzibunz, Snap-EZ, GAD, etc. I have a Blueberry OS that wicks on me something awful so I hesitate to suggest their pockets, but they do seem to fit well and some people really like them.

I also need to get Eddy new night diapers, he is barely staying in his M/L VBSN. Sigh. He's SO CLOSE to potty training, I think I could have him out of diapers during the day if I were just consistent, but night time dryness I don't expect to follow any time soon, yet I just don't want to make the investment! Boo.
    Alison

Comment

I say ditto on FuzziBunz...my 2 1/2 year old barely fits in Bum Genius, but comfortably fits in a large FuzziBunz. The one complaint I have about FB, though, is that the insert is relatively small, so DD soaks through! Ugh. I ended up using Bum Genius inserts in the FB and that works GREAT .

Good luck! I'm trying to potty train mine too, but who knows when it will really happen. It's such an emotional battle.

Comment

Thanks for the recs! I also did a search on diaperpin and MDC for reviews and two of the favs seem to be the FuzziBuns and the Green Acre Designs....I went with the Green Acre Designs for a couple of reasons....1. there were only 3 bad reviews and two seemed unfounded...2. her customer service was raved about....3. she takes returns based on fit (FuzziBuns doesn't take a return if it doesn't fit)....4. the colors were better!

I also LOVE my Cotton Babies inserts so I'm going to still use them, but I also bought some of her (Green Acre Designs) hemp inserts, hoping that they'll add some absorbency.

I'll post an update when I get them.

Oh and I got 2 ORANGE AND BLUE ones Go Gators!
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Update: I love the colors, but they are leaking. When I first got them they were great! Held pee in all night long....her inserts are good...I even ordered a few more....but now they are repelling. The inner layer is a fleece which is different than the BumGenius (suede cloth I think?). When I poor water on the diaper, it beads up and rolls off...if I force a section to be wet then it absorbs better, but overall it still repels. I'm not sure what went wrong...I didn't test them when I first got them so I don't have anything to compare it to. I've only washed them in Charlies, but they have been washed daily since I got them (a month maybe?). I don't think Daegan's stream is that forceful when I've watched him pee in the potty, but the diapers are definitely repelling and leaking. I'm going to look into the issue further online and through her customer service and I'll post an update when I hear back.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My guess is you need to strip them - each diaper has a different way they suggest doing it but the detergent builds up even when you use one they suggest. I strip with vinegar because I can't strip with dawn in my front loader but I think dawn is the preferred way. Just google it and I'm sure you'll find how to.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
            X