Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is this kid normal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this kid normal??

Hey Mommas,

I wanted to poll you guys and see if your little ones compare (I know, I know, we are never supposed to compare our kids but....).

Our 11 month old son is the most active constant motion machine I have ever encountered. He is so active, it borders on aggressive. For example: when I'm holding him he will slap, pinch, punch, bite, pull hair and kick. We keep trying to teach him 'gentle' but he doesn't seem to get it. He NEVER just sits there and looks at something. The final straw was this morning when DH was leaving for clinic and went to give baby a kiss and got bitch slapped. I heard it all the way in the bathroom

Anyway, this kid does not stop moving unless he is dead asleep. Even when I'm nursing him his little hands and feet are flapping everywhere and continue to move until he is completely out. He was crawling circles around the other babies in playgroup yesterday and getting a few good slaps in on the way. Any suggestions or stories of your own? This kid is driving me nuts!

Re: Is this kid normal??

Have you discussed this w/your pediatrician?
    Another thing you could do, is set up your video camea and record him during his usual playtime. My ped once said it's really helpful to see home movies,because often the child doesn't display a lot of what you are concerned about in the exam room.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
      Have you discussed this w/your pediatrician?
      Another thing you could do, is set up your video camea and record him during his usual playtime. My ped once said it's really helpful to see home movies,because often the child doesn't display a lot of what you are concerned about in the exam room.
      Ditto!

My good friend had a child exactly like this and it is best to get a handle on it early. He is still exceedingly active. She has him in gymnastics 6 times per week 2-3 hours per day to use his energy. Keeping him active has made all the difference in his behavior.

Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Sounds like he'd get along great with my almost 2 year old. He tried to rip my earrings off my ears during Mass last weekend. Yanks my hair on a regular basis. Attacks his sisters and parents. Broke my middle child's glasses. Terror.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Jack (almost 12 months) is super active. Always has been. Was getting out of his swaddle by a few days old and has not stopped moving since. Similar to your son, right up to the moment he falls asleep he is physically fighting sleep with his arms or legs. He is always moving and exploring more than other babies when we are in a group. I think it is normal, but there is a wide spectrum of normal right?
          I mentioned it to our ped once and she said it is better than not moving!!
          I have never thought of the hair pulling, throwing toys, pulling other babies ears, etc as aggressive. It is just play from a baby too young to understand "gentle".

Comment

Working...
          X