Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Another potty training question ... re: rewards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another potty training question ... re: rewards

I think we're just starting the potty-training process, I had DS#1 in underwear all day yesterday and he did okay. A few small "accidents," but I think it went pretty well overall.

I've been using 1 M&M candy as a reward for going each time in the potty. That worked really well ... maybe too well? He now seems to be "gaming the system," where he'll use the potty more frequently than necessary (like 4 times in 5 minutes!), presumably just to get the reward! He was just dribbling small amounts at that point (I actually think this is pretty smart!), I'd like to stop this behavior before it goes further. Or is it just going to go away on its own, once the novelty of sitting on the potty seat all.day.long wears off?

Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? Cutting out the rewards doesn't seem like the way to go, but I'm at a loss as to how to proactively deal with this.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

This is funny. I know that training a dog is not at all similar to training a human toddler. My brother gets so annoyed when I so this. So, apologies in advance. . .

We reward our yorkie with a cookie when she goes on the paper. She almost 11 and she still demands a cookie every time she goes on the paper. If we are not in the room, she'll find us and "tell" us that she's gone on the paper. If she sees us anywhere near the paper, she'll run over and force herself to go just a little so she can get a cookie.

So, yeah, I believe that a child that is infinitely more intellegent than a yorkshire terrier would hatch a plan to score more M&Ms. Also, unlike for a yorkie, I do believe that the novelty will wear off for a toddler as Cassy said.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Even if you think he's working the system, I would still go for it. The countless toilet trips WILL end once the superduper novelty wears off or once he better learns his body.
      ITA. Use whatever works when it comes to potty training. Seriously.

Hijack warning.

You know those occasional segments on news programs about yuppie parents who hire out parenting coaches for things like teaching a kid to ride a bike or follow rules or whatever. I used to think horrible things about "those types of people". I mean, seriously, parent your kid people.

Now there is a part of me who thinks that she would seriously contemplate outsourcing potty training, depending on the temperment of DS.

DS1 was a cinch. Seriously, I trained him in a three day weekend. (Boy, was I smug about my parenting too and gave out all sorts of advice about what worked for me!)

DD took about 8 months. She just would not stop to take the time to go potty. No bribing, cajoling, punishing, or reasoning would work. She fully potty trained when she was good and ready and there was no convincing otherwise.

Her car seat was so disgusting that I purchased a new one for this baby. That liner can only be washed so many times. The seats of my van have been urinated and vomited on so many times that I think that I may look into vinyl or plastic seats in the next model.

Anyway, best of luck. I hope that he is a champion potty trainer for you.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I remember being in the early stages of potty training during Easter time one year and having a basket of easter eggs filled with a little candy or sticker inside and letting DD choose one whenever she had a successful trip to the potty. I think the novelty will wear off and if it were me, I'd continue with the incentive program.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

If he seems to got the going potty thing down why not reward him for keeping his pants dry? Like a treat at the end of the day if he keeps his pants dry?

And another trick with little boys is to play the "sink the cheerios" game - where you put cheerios or fruit loops in the potty and they have to try and sink them by going potty on them. This helps them keep potty in the potty (aim) and it also encourages them to empty their bladder.

Good luck!
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3 View Post
            If he seems to got the going potty thing down why not reward him for keeping his pants dry? Like a treat at the end of the day if he keeps his pants dry?
            Ooh, I like that idea!!! I wonder if a toddler will get discouraged at the lack of instant gratification though. Still a great idea and definitely worth trying IMO.
            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3 View Post

And another trick with little boys is to play the "sink the cheerios" game - where you put cheerios or fruit loops in the potty and they have to try and sink them by going potty on them. This helps them keep potty in the potty (aim) and it also encourages them to empty their bladder.

Good luck!
              Is it bad that I think that DH might enjoy the sense of accomplishment from this, too
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                Is it bad that I think that DH might enjoy the sense of accomplishment from this, too
                Hahaha! I laughed out loud when I read this. I'm 99% positive that boys like bonfires for two reasons: 1) FIRE and 2) they get to pee on it to put it out.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                X