Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Breastfeeding/Immunity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding/Immunity ?

Ok, this may sound like a really stupid question but I have to ask. A pregnancy board that I belong to was talking yesterday about whether or not the moms were going to get the Swine Flu vaccine when it comes out. All of these moms are due in October/November so we'll be very close to the end of our pregnancies when its available. I always get the flu shot, Adele always gets a flu shot and DH always gets a flu shot so we were (are) planning to get the Swine flu shot when it becomes available.

So several of these moms said they were not planning on getting the Swine Flu shot and one even said that the best way to protect the baby was to breastfeed for the first six months. I totally understand that breastfeeding passes on your immunity but if YOU haven't had the flu shot or the swine flu shot wouldn't the baby still be susceptible to it?

Am I missing something?
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I hope those in the know speak up,because I think that's an interesting point you are bringing up.

Comment

My understanding is that the mom would have to have immunity in order to pass it on.
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

You can't pass on immunity you don't have. That having been said, I think DH and I have decided that I will get the regular flu shot this year, but not the swine flu shot. The one that is being developed does not target the new cases of swine flu emerging in South America that are much more difficult to treat and deadly than the cases seen in the US. Our basic plan of action has been, with all kids, basically quarantine until 8 weeks when they have some of their own immunity. If there is some revision in the vaccination being produced, I may consider it, but for now, I think DH will be the only person in the household receiving it.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I think you need to have specific antibodies to something to be able to pass those specific antibodies on to your child through breastfeeding and placental transfer. However, if you are healthy and you pass on normal antibodies and good nutrition via breastmilk, then your baby can be better able to mount its own appropriate immune response. And if you pass along the normal "common cold" type antibodies, then your child is less likely to suffer from complicating/secondary diseases/pathogens that often make the flu so bad. Does that make sense?

I'm still debating the swine flu vax for our family. We usually get the regular flu vax (all of us) each year...but I sometimes question that as I've never had the flu or even bronchitis....of course I don't want the first time to be when I have a resident spouse, two small children dependant on me and no family around either.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I'm with you Cassy, wary of the new vaccine. Darn flu. I have never even had the regular flu shot before and Jack didn't last year. But now that he is socializing more I guess we will have to do it. DH thinks we should have them both.

As far as breastfeeding goes, I agree with what the others have said. But, a follow up question - do the immunological benefits continue as long as you are BF? I thought so, but DH says they only happen for the first few weeks?

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about it being a "new" vaccine. Every year the generic flu shot is "new" in the same way. They look at the strains that are likely to develop in the upcoming flu season, and they tailor the vaccine to those. The swine flu vaccine, from what I understand, is being developed in the exact same way. You don't get the same flu shot from one year to the next, and this will just be one that is specifically designed to provide immunity for the swine flu strain.
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

The immunity you pass on with breastfeeding is for as long as you breastfeed. It doesn't stop after a few weeks.

Just a pro breastfeeding tidbit- dh got shingles when Oscar was three months and since I was breastfeeding and had already had chickenpox Oscar didn't get sick!! Pretty amazing example of the protection we can give to the little ones.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Right, it makes no sense that they would stop. We disagree about weaning, I think that is the problem....

Comment

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
                    some of the immune factors in breastmilk increase in concentration during the second year
                    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                      I wouldn't worry too much about it being a "new" vaccine. Every year the generic flu shot is "new" in the same way. They look at the strains that are likely to develop in the upcoming flu season, and they tailor the vaccine to those. The swine flu vaccine, from what I understand, is being developed in the exact same way. You don't get the same flu shot from one year to the next, and this will just be one that is specifically designed to provide immunity for the swine flu strain.
                      ITA with this. This year the flu was rampant on the college campus I worked at. Obviously, college students in cramped quarters usually equals flu, but there were faculty/staff who had gotten the flu shot only to be out of work for a week or more. I recall there being a big stink about how last year's shot didn't have the right strains and only protected against a minimum amount of the strains out there. I've gotten a flu shot for the last 2 years since DF started clinicals as a MS3. Since he works with kiddos, I'm waiting to hear how I'm going to get my (free) shot this year.

Don't know much about breastfeeding/immunity (yet), but you should do whatever you feel most comfortable with regarding the shot. Good luck with your decision.
                      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                      X