Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Child Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Harness

So what is your real opinion of these things? Before I had kids I thought I'd never put them on a "leash" but now that Adele is toddling and its hard for me to hang on to her in my condition I'm seriously considering one. We tried out a friends when we were in Chicago in June and she wore it around their apartment fine. There are just some situations where it is easier to not put her in and take her out of the stroller constantly.

Thoughts from those of you with kids?
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I haven't used one but my kids were a little older when I was pregnant or had an infant. There was a woman in our swim lessons who used one with her twins in the parking lot at the pool. I thought it was a great idea because her kids were at a really impulsive age and it would have been hard to get through the parking lot with both, swim stuff, etc. I've seen it other times but that instance comes to mind. Totally justifiable, IMO, in terms of safety in those instances.

I know you wouldn't do this -- a few months ago I saw someone pulling on the harness like a leash, like you would correct a dog in obedience training. :0 It was weird.
    Last edited by cupcake; 08-06-2009, 12:13 PM.

Comment

No opinion but I've seen some cute ones that are attached to back packs so they look less like a leash.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I used to feel the same Cheri but now that I know how unpredictable toddlers can be I can understand why people have them. Our neighborhood is one of those where everyone is out walking in the evenings. Most of the other moms of toddlers are either pregnant or have a dog and a lot of them have their kids on a "leash". The little backpack ones. Or they have them in strollers or little push along cars. Personally, I think having them walking with a harness is better than being in a stroller because they can still explore and check things out. We don't have one because I am still quicker than DS and have both hands free but I would definitely consider one if I was pregnant!

Comment

I've been thinking about these lately, too. Most recently when I saw a dad crossing the street leading a toddler by the hood of his hoodie.

Before I had kids I never understood why people disapproved, but I thought, "Well, maybe when I have kids I'll get what the problem is." Now that I have have a kid that age . . . I still don't see the problem with them. They seem like a very useful toddler item, on par with velcro shoes and sippy cups. All things you work toward not needing anymore, but in the meantime . . .

We don't have one yet, but I'm considering it as I seem to be getting more cumbersome while Cora only gets quicker. She is learning to stay by us when we walk, but if she's not being rambunctious, you can always unclip the leash from the backpack and then clip it back on if you need it.

If/when we get one, I still plan to enforce that we still have to hold hands to cross the street every time. She only likes to hold hands for very short periods, though, which seems understandable to me since it means reaching over her head.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

You're probably going to be surprised by my answer...but...

I think they are just a horrible sight. It looks like your child is chattle. It seems somewhat dehumanizing to the child and a depressing statement about the parents.

But...that being said...I can't tell you the number of times I wish DS was on a leash.

With a muzzle.

And that I was allowed to use a cattleprod.

So, basically: I don't like them, but I really understand them from a practicality point of view.

Comment

We don't have one and I've never used one, but I can totally understand the need for using it!
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                You're probably going to be surprised by my answer...but...

I think they are just a horrible sight. It looks like your child is chattle. It seems somewhat dehumanizing to the child and a depressing statement about the parents.

But...that being said...I can't tell you the number of times I wish DS was on a leash.

With a muzzle.

And that I was allowed to use a cattleprod.

So, basically: I don't like them, but I really understand them from a practicality point of view.
                Good gawd Abigail! You have again verbalized exactly how I feel.
                Kris

Comment

Sheesh, and here I'm looking for a playpen (the big ones we had in the 70s). Get me a leash and a cage and I'll be all set for this kid.
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                    Sheesh, and here I'm looking for a playpen (the big ones we had in the 70s). Get me a leash and a cage and I'll be all set for this kid.
                    Are you finding any? I think maybe they've been replaced by things like this.
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Obviously they are popular enough. You see them everywhere.

If you're asking for an opinion, I HATE them. I just feel that children shouldn't be on leashes, that's what strollers and carriers are for. And holding hands and walking next to your adult so that you don't get lost or stolen. It reminds me of walking my dog who is actually well behaved enough that most of the time he can go on a walk without a leash. We actual trained him to walk without a leash from the time he was a puppy. Maybe I have been just "lucky" that my kids just walked on their own and minded by the time they were 2 (probably earlier than that). Maybe I just make them that way. Eó is only a year old but he sits patiently in his stroller during J's 1.5 to 2 hour long baseball games. The other moms are always commenting about it, I just feel that that's what he's supposed to do. Sit there and mind. But then again, my family members call me the dungeon master, so my kids just know from an early age that messing with me is a lose lose situation.

If it will give you some comfort, get one. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

I can give one instance in my life when having two harnesses was absolutely necessary for the safety of my children:

I was flying from Boston to Dallas with a layover in Chicago at O'Hare. I had to literally cross the airport in order to make my connection. I had four children and was traveling alone with them. I put my (then) toddler in a lightweight umbrella stroller (that I could easily use in the airports rather than a bulky enormous stroller that would have to be checked), slung her carseat over my shoulder, had the diaper bag on the other shoulder, had each of my (then) preschool twins with a harness on her and the end of each of these harnesses was over one of each of the two hooked handles of the stroller. And, then I had my (then) kindergarten-aged son walking beside me.

I was so thankful for those harnesses. My daughters were very well behaved for their ages at the time (about 3 years old for the twins). But, in an incredibly crowded, busy airport which you have to cross in a short length of time it is all too easy to literally lose a child.

Now, I don't use harnesses for everyday outings. But, in certain instances I think they serve an important purpose. And, I don't think ANYONE in that airport looked at us and thought my children looked like chattel. On the contrary, I got a lot of compliments on being able to get my little caravan to where it needed to be.
                        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

But, I do have to admit that in our society of most people only having one or two kids max it's pretty easy to keep track of one or two. (Although I never had two - I went from one to three). Now, I dare any of you to keep track of six at once! LOL

Comment

Thanks guys - this is all very helpful. My main use would be places like fairs, museums, zoos where she wants to be out and about to look at things but I don't want to lose her.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'd say in those instances they are quite helpful. It only takes about two seconds for you to look away and they've darted out into a crowd. With a little one I literally hold their hand or hold THEM in my arms (or on my shoulders). And, if for some reason you can't do those things (such as if you are hugely pregnant with their sibling) I think that something like a harness is a good safety tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X