Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bed rails for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed rails for kids

So, we finally made the big purchase and bought DS a real bed (twin) for his room. He has been using a toddler bed for maybe a year and a half, but since we need the crib mattress for the new baby, and he's outgrowing the bed anyway, we decided it was time. My question is this...DS has slept in "regular" beds on occasion (visits to grandma's, hotels, sometimes naps in my bed) and I have not had bed rails during these times. He has never fallen out of bed. Do you think I need to get a bed rail or would it be ok to go without? Obviously, I don't want to put him in danger, but since we haven't had a problem with big beds in the past, do you think I need a rail?
    Your thoughts are appreciated!
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

I don't think you need bedrails. Ds' big boy bed was just delivered to our house last week. When I say big boy bed, I mean it's really big! It's a fullsize bed wish a plush mattress and boxspring. It sits pretty high off the ground. Ds has had no trouble sleeeping in it. In fact, he has been sleeping better and longer than when he was in the crib.

I don't remember dd having any trouble transitioning from a crib to a bed either and she was much younger (26 months) than Ds is right now. I think she had one night where I found her under the bed, but I don't know if she fell or got out of bed and crawled under there. Anyway, if she fell, she was not injured or even traumatized by it.

I just don't think bedrails are necessary.
    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I would make sure you don't have a sidetable or any other furniture next to the bed for him to fall into (just in case). I'd go for it without bed rails and see how it goes. Good luck! We did a trundle with DD so that she'd be low to the ground. On the plus side, all I have to do to make her bed is slide it under the other bed! I think we're going to go the same route now for our other kids.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

DS#1 has bedrails (he sleeps in a full-size bed, waaaaaay up off the floor). But he went directly from the crib into the full-size bed, and had never slept in a bed before that so I was nervous about him falling out.

I think if he's slept in a big bed before without problems, you won't need a bedrail. You could always put a few big pillows on the floor next to the bed for the first few nights/weeks/whatever to help cushion him if he does fall out...
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

DS has a bed rail bec. he kept falling out of his bed when we first moved him. But this kid is a rough sleeper!

Comment

We had a bedrail for Nikolai because he fell out of bed a few times from the toddler bed. We can probably get rid of it now but he likes it.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
            X