Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

coming home duds for baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coming home duds for baby

I've been packing for the hospital. We live 2 minutes away by car, and until now, dh had me convinced that we don't really need to pack anything, because he can just run home and get whatever I need. I'm ignoring him and packing a small carry on suitcase anyway. Should I scrap the suitcase idea and pack a bag instead? I imagine I'll need someone to push me around in a wheelchair at some point and is a suitcase just cumbersome?

So, we're supposed to have an outfit for the baby to bring it home in. I know they don't "come with" clothes, but didn't know it was supposed to be a big production with the baby being all matchy-matchy... We live in a warm climate -- I imagine it'll be in the mid-70s. How do I dress the baby? Is a onesie not a good idea because of the umbilical cord? A side-snap t-shirt jobby isn't warm enough, right?

Any tips on what I should be packing for the little one? Any tips on the clothing size? I have a couple of newborn things that look impossibly small, and then some 0-3 month old stuff that seem pretty big.

TIA!
    married to an anesthesia attending

I always take two sleepers - one newborn and one 0-3. Or in my case, premie and newborn. That way something fits and it isn't too warm.
    Kris

Comment

Cora came home in a one-piece lightweight zip-up sleeper and then we put a warm blanket over her in the carseat to keep her warm since it was like sixty degrees or so outside. It wasn't a "special" outfit, just something cute out of the box of hand-me-downs we had.

I'd bring one outfit in newborn size and one in 0-3 size that you like.

Different parents have vastly different baby-dressing preferences, but my side-snap t-shirts went pretty much unused, and onesies and sleepers worked well for us from the beginning. Her umbilical stump was pretty flat, I remember the ped commenting, though.

I also had one bag for the labor part of things and then a separate bag for postpartum, like they recommend. My postpartum bag was a carry-on suitcase. My husband had to make several trips to load up the car to leave because of flowers etc. anyway, so he had already put the suitcase in the car by the time the three of us walked out to leave. The husband can be in charge of suitcase-carrying.
      Last edited by Auspicious; 08-23-2009, 03:06 PM.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

With both kids:

1. We walked home (lived within walking distance of hospital);

2. It was summer-warm weather outside; and

3. Kids were dressed in one-piece oneies--just plain white ones--and wrapped in a swaddling blanket. Simple and unencumbered...

I think they may have had little caps on, too. I don't remember. But no socks. Poor kids. Both of mine HATED socks and kicked them off.

Comment

Adele came home in a pair of sleeper pajamas too. She did have a hat but it was given to her at the hospital. I agree with taking two different sizes you don't know how big he/she will be

And school of thought I was taught was that the baby should always have one more layer then you. So if you're in shorts and a t-shirt he/she should probably be in long sleeves and/or long pants. Socks weren't really an issue with A because she was a winter baby and most of her outfits had feet.

I would have found a suitcase to big, a small duffle type bag was all I really needed but this time I'll take a few different things, like my own pillow in a case I can toss and my own brand new pajamas that button down the front - I hated the nursing gowns my hospital provided.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
            and my own brand new pajamas that button down the front - I hated the nursing gowns my hospital provided.
            This is also top of my list of things I'm definitely bringing this time that I didn't bring last time. Not sure if it'll be pajamas, but something to get me out of the annoying nursing gowns after the first few hours!
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We did a sleeper and blanket with matching hat (remember, newborns have no means to regulate their body temp, and most heat is lost through the head). The cutesie outfits are really just for photo ops.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Helpful things for me to have were-
                my own pillow
                toiletries- that first shower after baby feels awesome and you wont want hospital shampoo
                CDs and/or DVDs
                laptop
                camera
                snacks for DH
                nice jammies
                cell phone and charger

I didnt want my DH to leave my side, esp when I was in labor, I wouldnt have wanted him to go home to pack or worry about telling him what to pack.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I remember reading that you might not want to bring any baby outfit that you have to pull over their head as a "coming home" outfit. The baby is so new and seems so fragile; pulling something over their head on the first day of motherhood might provoke some anxiety. They are pretty wobbly and with a first baby....maybe it would freak you out more than dressing a baby should.

I think pajamas are a must. Also, think about anything you'd want for pictures because you will be photographed. We demand it!!!!! I think I took some makeup with the second. With the first, I took nothing like that.

I'm so excited for you! Good plan to pack now and not leave everything for hubby after the fact. He will be flustered when you actually go in.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thank you! I'll just pack a few different types of clothing for the baby and see how it goes. The clothes are so tiny that they hardly take up any room! I'm pretty sure I won't be comfortable putting things over his/her head at first, like you mentioned. I've heard about the fact that the baby should wear one more layer of clothing than us, but wasn't sure how that would work with a sleeper... I don't think I even have a sleeper, actually. We have some swaddle sacks and a thin pajama zip-up thing that doesn't seem very warm.

Comment

FWIW I was thinking of bringing a fleece sleeper size 0-6mo. Its just a sac so it should fit regardless of how long the baby is. And since he's a December/January baby, I'm thinking warmth is key.
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                        FWIW I was thinking of bringing a fleece sleeper size 0-6mo. Its just a sac so it should fit regardless of how long the baby is. And since he's a December/January baby, I'm thinking warmth is key.
                        Careful with this option, because you will still need to buckle the little guy into his car seat and most of the sacks won't work well for that.
                        Kris

Comment

I thought everyone did this, but I guess it's just my family... we dress the baby in the prettiest dress or pant/shirt (for boy) outfit possible. Think Christmas or Easter outfits, but for a newborn. I can see how a sleeper would be easier tho.
                          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                            Careful with this option, because you will still need to buckle the little guy into his car seat and most of the sacks won't work well for that.
                            excellent point. I guess it would just be a ton of material that you'd have to fight with. We've got a two-minute drive, and I'm thankful for that--the 1000 speed bumps are going to scare the bejeezus out of me when we bring the baby home. Oy.

Comment

I thought everyone did this, but I guess it's just my family... we dress the baby in the prettiest dress or pant/shirt (for boy) outfit possible.
                              We do this too. Each child gets an heirloom quality outfit to wear home which also doubles for their outfit for the hospital photo. My boys each got a smocked bubble and my daughter got a smocked bishop's dress. They are so tiny and delicate. I love looking at them remembering that day.

...but I'm a sap.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X