Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Birthday Brunch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday Brunch?

I can't believe it, but Matalin is almost ONE and I'm trying to plan her birthday party. I do like to have a fun party (of our friends) to celebrate the first, and then plan to tone it down until she's old enough to know/care about it.

The timing is soooo tricky though. Quinn's birthday is 2 days before, so initially I was planning to do Quinn's party the weekend before, and Mattie's the weekend of. But no, dh will be on a "work" fishing trip the weekend of the 19th. I'd do it by myself, but Quinn is still upset that I missed his party last year (was in the hospital having just given birth), and said "I want my WHOLE family there!" Okay, so I'll do it the weekend after. Noooo, we have that stupid masquerade ball the weekend after. The weekend of the 10th we're (a neighbor and I) are planning a neighborhood block party thing - largely b/c my neighbor who lost her partner said she'd love a reason for everyone to get together, so I don't want to bump that, either. I could do Quinn's party the evening of the 25th (Friday) and Mattie's on the 26th, but some folks will overlap with invites to both parties, and I hate to feel like I'm taking up their entire weekend! GAH.

So, I'm either at having a birthday brunch or early afternoon munchies and cake on the 26th, or having a birthday dinner on 10/9.

Thoughts?

Either of your ideas is fine; for me it'd depend on how much overlap there is in the guest lists, and if people invited to both will be traveling, or if everyone is local.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

No traveling. DH's parents are coming the week of the 8th for the all-dreaded "grandparent's day" at school, and we'll do a small birthday celebration while they're here. My dad never even came to the kid's birthday parties when we lived in the same state, let alone now. It will all be local friends -- and it's really just that I want to have a party to celebrate her first year.

Comment

Honestly, I would do which ever costs you less stress. I know first birthdays are important, but they are more important to you then to Matalin, for she wont even remember the party, but will treasure the pictures later. Thus any day you do it will work as long as you have a great picture of her enjoying the cake.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I like the brunch idea, as long as that isn't an issue for people who have kids with morning soccer and that sort of thing. How does Mattie do with a crowd of people -- will she have a better time earlier in the day or does it matter?

Comment

Easiest going baby in the world -- won't matter a bit (as far as large groups of people go). She's still very 'mommy-centric' so probably wouldn't bounce from person to person even if we just had one other couple here.

I think it was the crash course in loud groups she got when we went to Cleveland for dh's uncle's funeral. 25 Hindus in one room all talking at once ... she slept right through and only woke when it was quiet.

I think I may just bump her party out a few weeks so that Quinn doesn't get screwed again. She won't know, and we'll only be inviting good friends who will understand. Otherwise I'll just make myself crazy trying to do both cakes / parties.

Comment

I think it sounds easier to wait. Are you sure she won't be mad that it is a week past her real birthday?

Comment

I think you should focus on Quinn's b-day this year and push Mattie's till later when there might be more time. We were just having the discussion about E's b-day and in order to accommodate everyone we are going to celebrate a week and a half later (the weekend of Thanksgiving). I think since they are still so young it won't really matter that much. Quinn will likely appreciate the special attention especially since he missed you the year before.
                Danielle
                Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I'm still stuck on he fact that she's almost 1!!

I would probably push the party back to Oct, too.

Comment

Move the party.

Nikolai didn't get to celebrate his first birthday with us because he was still stuck in Russia so we combined parties six weeks later with my nephew. I'm pretty sure that 'if' the boys remember anything it was the sugar buzz from the inch thick red icing (Elmo cake)

Jenn

Comment

I agree, Mattie won't notice and Quinn obviously will, hopefully it gets easier as she gets older to have 2 so close together.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Rick's sisters are 365 days apart- yup they share the same birthday. Cindy says that she's the best birthday present Sheri ever had.

(Cindy also said that sharing a birthday party w/ Sheri was fine until they were older- like 9 or 10)

jenn

Comment

Bump her party out -- she won't notice at all.

Quinn will be thrilled to have you there this year!
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                          X