Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Poop and diaper rash issues -- for the 2 year old, not me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poop and diaper rash issues -- for the 2 year old, not me

Kenny is having serious poop issues. He's had two med size pieces of poop come out since Sunday. We've done milk of magnesium, mira lax, fiber one pop tarts and frosted mini wheats. He is constipated in a major way. I hit Super-Target last night to get more diaper ointment.

His little booty is so red. We had been using some samples of a prescription strength that was sent to Garrett and were running out. After looking at all the ingredients and remembering that Garrett requested something with aloe to get the boy through this, I came home with Boudreaux's Butt Paste Natural. His bottom was a little better this morning and he didn't scream when I put the ointment on him. I also got good old Dr. Smith's (what we used on the girls and is such a hot commodity that you have to get it from the pharmacist) to use daily after we get him all better.

Any tips or other diaper ointment ideas? I did also get some oatmeal bath soak by Aveeno. Haven't used it yet though.

Thanks gals (and any guys who respond).
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

We tried using a soft baby wash cloth on his bottom. Same screams as a wet wipe and took longer. Then tried using just water (stood him in the tub). Same reaction. And it took even longer because he tried to get away. Wipes seem to be the fastest and we get the same reaction no matter what. We do use the Huggies wipes with aloe in them.
    Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
      My thoughts --

- mix up Maalox/Aquaphor for a tushy cream.
      Actually equal parts Maalox/Aquaphor/original Desitin (not the creamy kind) was my ped's recipe for the cure-all butt cream, and it really, really was. I've given the "recipe" to many friends, and everyone swears by it.

Comment

We've usd the California Baby diaper cream and it works great. It usually clears up rashes before the next diaper change. Target sells it now.

Comment

No advice, just sympathy...we went through a similar thing when DS was about 1 1/2 or so. He had this diarrhea syndrome (cleverly entitled "idiopathic diarrhea of toddlerhood" aka we don't know why he is having diarrhea, just wait it out). Anyway, the diarrhea wasn't really the big issue..the AWFUL rash was the real problem. So nasty it actually caused skin abrasions and bleeding. Broke my heart. Ended up needing antibiotic, antifungal, and hydrocortisone cream for his bottom (might have had some sort of lidocaine type stuff, too). Eventually it did heal, but it was horrible. To this day, he is very prone to eczema on his bottom, even though he's potty trained. I always have to keep an eye on it.
          Try the homemade remedies (maalox/barrier cream), I have heard that they work!
          Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

No advice for the sore butt, but all my kids have constipation issues. Our ped recommended pear juice, pear sauce, prune sauce, and if that fails noodles tossed in mineral oil. I have never had to go to the mineral oil. The fruits seem to work well. We do a serving of pear juice daily. Hope he feels better.

Comment

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for you and the little guy. Both our boys had these issues. I would go straight for the mineral oil at this point. We used to mix it with milk in a zippy cup, they never noticed. For the bottom, keep him diaper free as much as possible, warm sun can work wonders. When he has to be in dipes use cloth if you have them. We swear by TriplePaste, it is the best. Good luck!
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Take a good portion of your wipes out and run them under water to remove all the ingredients that makes them moist ie soak&squeeze the stack several times. Then re-moisten w/ water and keep in a zip lock bag. This way you'll have the convenience of the throw away wipes and it won't sting the hell out of them.

I learned early on when my hands were broke out w/ eczema (actual small fissures) that even the pampers sensitive wipes stung like hell if I wiped my hands w/ them...that's how I realized they were so painful to a baby's rashy bum!

I still can't believe that wipes can hurt! You'd think that something that was to be used on a human,on their nether regions, would be tested more as to make sure there was no burning or stinging. It's sad to think of all the rashy babies screaming and crying because we are unknowingly adding to their pain & discomfort by wiping them w/something that is FAR from sensitive!!! I bet they think because they add aloe & remove the scent and a form of alcohol they just assumed they were sensitive...NOT!

Ohhh maybe our scientist moms &/or dads could help me develop a convenient ie disposable wipe (environmentally friendly) that has a shelf life, is actually non irritating and is healthy/promotes healing for babies w/rashes. You know, seeing as how the big corporations have overlooked this...or has someone already beaten me to it? if so plaes share the brand..I'll be happy to test it out on my hands.

Comment

He had his ECI therapy appointment this morning at 10. It was over by 10:15. His therapist and I kept giggling at his toots. Major stinky and then the scent went away. About 5 min after his last toot I noticed a spot on his shorts. Umm...yeah, not constipated anymore. In fact, it was like very watery chocolate pudding. You're welcome for the visual. It got on both legs of his shorts, at the waistband (front and back) and on the front and back of his shirt. Filled a whole plastic grocery bag with the diaper and wipes that it took just to get him clean enough to stick in the tub.

I told his therapist she needs a raise since obviously she cures constipation in addition to helping toddlers learn to talk. LOL

I did put Melaleuca's antibiotic ointment on his booty (it was all I had in my purse and I didn't want to put straight desitin on him). Booty is still pink, but not red like it was at this time yesterday.

Thank you all for the tips and I will be buying pear, prune and apple juice on my next trip to the grocery store.
                  Veronica

Comment

We make the soda guy stock apple juice and water because methadone causes really bad constipation. Once one of our ladies who was 6 months pregnant came in complaining of cramps and turns out she hadn't pooped in THREE WEEKS.

Needless to day our doc called the OB and they got her admitted straight away. One enema later and she was all light and fluffy and feeling MUCH better.

J.

Comment

Are you sure he hasn't gotten a fungal infection as a result? If he has, it's jock itch cream time...my NP recommended it and it worked wonders.

FWIW, Boudreaux's BP is the best for my money...

Re: constipation...DS has it every so often. We've cut down his white bread intake big time, upped his raw fruits intake, cut out bananas (they back you up), and--most importantly--make him drink prune juice (yuck! I know!). We cut the prune juice with raspberry iced tea or cranberry juice or something--half and half--to make it more tolerable.

It helped. A lot.

Comment

I second (or maybe third) the pear juice. The pectin in apple juice can cause really bad cramping to those who are sensitive to it. When DD or DS is just a little rashy, I use Vanicream (it's a Rochester special) available sometimes behind the pharmacy counter, otherwise online, and it works miracles with no skin issues. We have LOTS of allergies in our family with skin reactions, so we're as minimalist as possible. I have definitely found that sometimes the intended cure is worse than the ailment (like with sensitive wipes vs. just using water, etc). The Aveeno Oatmeal bath is also awesome.
                        -Deb
                        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                        X